GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   please help! identify a plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/178702-please-help-identify-plant.html)

Charles[_1_] 19-09-2008 06:00 PM

please help! identify a plant

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:04:10 +0100, landscapemaddie
wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

any one be of use? you will gain my undying respect...

Looks to me like a rhododendron.

monique 19-09-2008 06:15 PM

landscapemaddie wrote:
hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed

NICHE541 20-09-2008 01:41 AM

please help! identify a plant

--
landscapemaddie

I am not educated in cultivated plants. I stick to plants that are
native to particular biomes. However my first impression is that it is
either some sort of a rubber plane or a rhodadengron. In Asia these
plants get very large.

Malcolm Manners 20-09-2008 05:05 PM

monique wrote:
landscapemaddie wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed

Monique, I, too, thought loquat at first look at the leaves, but the
terminal bud yells "Rhododendron!" so I think that's the direction to go.

Richard Wright 20-09-2008 09:58 PM

please help! identify a plant

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:05:53 GMT, Malcolm Manners
wrote:

monique wrote:
landscapemaddie wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed

Monique, I, too, thought loquat at first look at the leaves, but the
terminal bud yells "Rhododendron!" so I think that's the direction to go.

I agree rhododendron is the way to go.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/budblast.htm

My loquat has leaves that are much more wrinkled than in the OP's
photo.