GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spontaneous underground grafting. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/180187-spontaneous-underground-grafting.html)

Peter Jason 06-12-2008 02:25 AM

Spontaneous underground grafting.

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

NICHE541 08-12-2008 06:57 AM

On Dec 5, 8:25*pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:
Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations

Malcolm Manners 08-12-2008 06:07 PM

NICHE541 wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:25 pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations

Citrus trees often do, especially on 'Cleopatra' mandarin rootstock.

monique 08-12-2008 07:11 PM

Spontaneous underground grafting.

Live oaks certainly do. It's one of the main reasons live oak wilt
spreads so quickly in the Texas Hill Country.

M. Reed

[email protected] 09-12-2008 02:24 AM

Spontaneous underground grafting.

In article ,
monique wrote:
Live oaks certainly do. It's one of the main reasons live oak wilt
spreads so quickly in the Texas Hill Country.

IIRC, this was one mode of spread of Dutch elm disease in American Elms
as well.

Phred 09-12-2008 01:04 PM

Spontaneous underground grafting.

In article , wrote:
In article ,
monique wrote:
Live oaks certainly do. It's one of the main reasons live oak wilt
spreads so quickly in the Texas Hill Country.

IIRC, this was one mode of spread of Dutch elm disease in American Elms
as well.

I'm told that the disease caused by the basidiomycete _Phellinus
noxius_ is also spread root to root -- but perhaps by simple contact
rather than root grafting as such.

Some info here I believe: http://tinyurl.com/5w9pmq

or, in full:

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.
asp?si=1007&fr=1&sts=&lang=EN

[I haven't checked that ref tonight because my DNS is playing silly
buggers again. :-( ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Peter Jason 17-12-2008 04:33 AM

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
NICHE541 wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:25 pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form
root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the
subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post
oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations

Citrus trees often do, especially on 'Cleopatra' mandarin
rootstock.

I was worried that the application of a weedkiller (roundup)
on one tree might spread to an adjoining one.