Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM
jerry rausch

Default Lab for gene sequencing in plant species?-Follow-up

The lab is Pioneer and they work with pretty much any type of genetic
material, not just plant.

jerry rausch wrote:
One of the major seed corn companies, Dekalb or Pioneer, has what was
described as "the largest gene lab in the world". I believe it is
located in Ohio.
I'll see if I can get more detailed info.

john clark wrote:

Can anyone identify a commercial lab in USA which perfoms gene
sequencing on
plant samples? What I have in mind is identification of base pair
differences between a "normal" plant and one with a single gene
mutation for
purposes of U.S. design patent application. Thanks.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Una Smith

john clark wrote:
Can anyone identify a commercial lab in USA which perfoms gene
sequencing on plant samples?

The puffer fish genome was sequenced by sending work out to
commercial labs that had idle capacity. Perhaps one of those
labs would do the job for you. These days, it doesn't make
much difference what kind of organism you're sequencing.

See "Whole-genome shotgun assembly and analysis of the genome
of Fugu rubripes", Aparicio et al 2002, Science 297(#5585) pp.
1301-1310 (August 32).

What I have in mind is identification of base pair
differences between a "normal" plant and one with a single gene
mutation for purposes of U.S. design patent application.

Can you tell the lab where to look on the genome? That is,
do you know which primers they should use to run PCR across
the gene region(s) of interest? Or can you give them enough
information that they can determine which primers to use?

Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545