Old 26-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making

I would like to followup on what I started in this thread after making several
batches of homemade Marzipan Chocolates.

The key to any great food is great ingredients. And so I went shopping for
the best almond-paste. I found a brand Odense (quite expensive).

I want to make Chocolate Marzipan because I live in a part of the USA
where brands such as Sarotti are never available locally and so I have to
improvise on my own.

So I got some Ghirardelli and some Baker's Chocolate of bittersweet and
semi-sweet. My favorite flavor is between bittersweet and semisweet and so
I mix them half and half. I guess you can say the end chocolate is Quartersweet.

I wanted to have a thin layer of chocolate and thin layer of marzipan. I don't
know why thinness makes the food taste so much better than a thick one.

After experimenting I found that spoons as *molds* are the easiest and
nonmessy way to go. And I found that melting the chocolate and adding
a bit of water I can get the mix to make a thin layer of chocolate over my
marzipan paste on the spoon. I paste a piece of marzipan onto the spoon and
using a different spoon a carefully pour a little melted chocolate on top of the
marzipan and then put my spoon molds into the refrigerator. When I want a
candy I just pull out a spoon and eat it from the spoon.

So, I solved my problem of not having Sarotti or Neiddeger (spelling) German
marzipan available here in the Midwest. I make my own.

But now the problem is that I want to make black-walnut paste. Reason: I
have plenty of organically grown black walnuts to use.

So, can someone tell me how Odense makes their almond-paste? For I would
like to be able to make my own black-walnut paste or even almond-paste
should the circumstance arise where Odense is no longer available.

How do they make that paste? Reading the box of ingredients it says this
on Odense:

Almonds, sugar, liquid glucose, water

Archimedes Plutonium, 29SEP02,

mmmmmmmmmmm vanilla and marzipan Janet United Kingdom 7 21-03-2012 11:54 PM
Almond fruiting Sacha United Kingdom 4 21-10-2007 11:16 PM
Squashes, physalis, almond plants Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 12-06-2007 03:43 PM
almond camotto Plant Science 0 21-04-2004 01:04 PM
SV: chocolate making -- Tempering Chocolate! Gary Pollack Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 02:21 PM