Old 26-04-2003, 01:22 PM
whiteMemphis

Default cacti/succulent

good morning all,
does anyone in this group have expertise in the above? I am planning a
cacti/succulent garden as drought seems to be getting worse here (Australia)
but I want plants that will get nice and big, not the tiny little things in
pots, any info greatly appreciated thankyou. have a good day.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Iris Cohen

I am planning a cacti/succulent garden as drought seems to be getting worse
here (Australia) but I want plants that will get nice and big,
Many cacti & succulents are sold in pots as small specimens, but they can grow
quite big if you plant them in the ground. You can probably get a lot of
information from books that are written for the US Southwest, like the Sunset
Western Garden Book. If you don't mind the glochids (spines with fishhooks),
look for the Opuntia group (prickly pears). For large columnar cacti or
succulents, look for Euphorbias and cacti with -cereus in their name. For
something really unusual, get a boojum tree and its relative, the ocotillo.
They can be purchased in small sizes. Want something really big? Get a baby
Carnegiea gigantia. It will grow huge, but not in your lifetime. It may get
complicated if you have to import these, as most of them are protected species
& you will have to get CITES documentation.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Chris Garvey

Iris Cohen wrote:
: I am planning a cacti/succulent garden as drought seems to be getting worse
: something really unusual, get a boojum tree and its relative, the ocotillo.
: They can be purchased in small sizes. Want something really big? Get a baby
: Carnegiea gigantia. It will grow huge, but not in your lifetime. It may get
: complicated if you have to import these, as most of them are protected species
: & you will have to get CITES documentation.

As well as a permit from the Australian Quarantine Service.

regards

erastothenes

--
(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956

Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Jie-san Laushi

look for Euphorbias and cacti with -cereus in their name.

Better yet, maybe you can take Cereoid off our hands. :-)

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

look for Euphorbias and cacti with -cereus in their name.

Jie-san Laushi schreef
Better yet, maybe you can take Cereoid off our hands. :-)

Jie-san Laushi

=========

He is prickly enough
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Cereoid+10

Dear Elvis,

There are thousands of succulent plants that you can grow in your area, many
of which are large growing plants. There are also several Cactus &
succulents clubs in Australia who's members can lead you in the right
direction and provide you with the plants you need.

http://www.tarrex.com.au/catalog/catalog.htm

Look in the Cactus mall for virtually everything and anything pertaining to
Cactus & succulents including the answers to all you seek!!!

http://www.cactus-mall.com/

Ignore the previous comments from the children in the peanut gallery. They
have simply displayed their lame attempts at humor and their total ignorance
on the subject once again.

whiteMemphis wrote in message
good morning all,
does anyone in this group have expertise in the above? I am planning a
cacti/succulent garden as drought seems to be getting worse here

(Australia)
but I want plants that will get nice and big, not the tiny little things

in
pots, any info greatly appreciated thankyou. have a good day.

Succulent Plants Giuliano Gentili Plant Science 1 03-09-2003 07:22 PM
Succulent identification please. Tony Bond United Kingdom 4 21-06-2003 11:20 PM
Gallipoli: pink flowering succulent John Savage Australia 2 26-04-2003 07:32 PM
Succulent expert EBG Gardening 0 10-03-2003 03:32 PM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM