GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Terpenes in aromatic cedar? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/18369-terpenes-aromatic-cedar.html)

Theo 26-04-2003 01:26 PM

Terpenes in aromatic cedar?

I cut some attractive slices out of a cedar that was being pruned, and stuck
them in a bag to dry slowly. (I assumed, correctly, that this wood was
unlikely to rot or be damaged by bugs on damp storage.) A couple of years
later, they were covered with a fur of beautiful needle-shaped crystals with
little smell or taste.

Any idea what these crystals might be?

P van Rijckevorsel 26-04-2003 01:26 PM

Terpenes in aromatic cedar?

Theo (reply w/o spam) schreef
I cut some attractive slices out of a cedar that was being pruned, and

stuck them in a bag to dry slowly. (I assumed, correctly, that this wood was
unlikely to rot or be damaged by bugs on damp storage.) A couple of years
later, they were covered with a fur of beautiful needle-shaped crystals
with little smell or taste.

Any idea what these crystals might be?

+ + +
I have seen them too. Likely they occur in all Cupressaceae with heartwood.
Never got round to looking up what they might be. A quick look in Hausen
yields quinones &al as common in such woods, but this is an indication only.

PvR

P van Rijckevorsel 26-04-2003 01:26 PM

Terpenes in aromatic cedar?

Theo (reply w/o spam) schreef
I cut some attractive slices out of a cedar that was being pruned, and

stuck them in a bag to dry slowly. (I assumed, correctly, that this wood
was unlikely to rot or be damaged by bugs on damp storage.) A couple of
years later, they were covered with a fur of beautiful needle-shaped
crystals with little smell or taste.

Any idea what these crystals might be?

P van Rijckevorsel schreef
I have seen them too. Likely they occur in all Cupressaceae with

heartwood. Never got round to looking up what they might be. A quick look in
Hausen yields quinones &al as common in such woods, but this is an
indication only.
PvR

+ + +
According to the book by Frohne & Jensen the wood of Cupressaceae
can have high contents of terpenes, notably Thymol and Carvacrol
PvR