GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   best weeder, narrow drain spade (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/184184-best-weeder-narrow-drain-spade.html)

[email protected] 28-05-2009 08:40 AM

best weeder, narrow drain spade

Some years back I posted that a long thick knife was the best
weeder. Since then I rescinded my opinion and found a long
handled narrow drain spade is the best weeder for curly dock
and for thistle.

It is the best because on curly dock after a rainshower, you make
one deep incision and snap the root, which is almost looking like a
carrot tap root, and can pull the entire plant out.

But what is great is that you leave the rest of the grass in tact,
and just a stomp and you have the grass without the weed.

The spade is so much faster than getting down on knees and
working a knife.

And for thistles, a knife is not good since you cannot get a hold.

So the spade is worked on thistles that are small as to cut them
off at the ground level. But larger thistle are dug up like a
curly dock.

The key is not to upset the soil and grass around the weed.

So it is better to just cut most of them at ground level and
as you continue doing that year after year, they eventually
stop coming because the grasses crowd them out.