GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID for desert tree with cool survival technique (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/18419-re-id-desert-tree-cool-survival-technique.html)

manzanar 26-04-2003 01:28 PM

ID for desert tree with cool survival technique

Yeah, I'm sure.
Dwight

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
The picture is of a Bristlecone Pine located in the White Mountains of
California/Nevada

Are you sure? Of course many conifers other than junipers exhibit similar
behavior in nature. The difference with junipers is that you can never cut

off
a branch & have the trunk callus over. With pine trees, you can make a jin

if
you want one, or cut the branch off if you choose to. Pines callus over
eventually.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so

much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885

Tom Schweich 26-04-2003 01:28 PM

Iris Cohen wrote:

The picture is of a Bristlecone Pine located in the White Mountains of
California/Nevada

Are you sure?

Naw, I don't think so. The Bristlecones in the White Mountains are on limestone.
The rocks in the photo look like granites or maybe granitoid gneisses. And the
bush on the lower left, under the space ship looks like a Purshia. I'm going with
Juniperus osteosperma.

http://www.forceacademy.com/Imagesto...esert_tree.jpg

Tom Schweich
http://www.schweich.com Day: 415-545-3644

Sean Houtman 26-04-2003 01:28 PM

ID for desert tree with cool survival technique

From: (Iris Cohen)

From: "manzanar"

The picture is of a Bristlecone Pine located in the White Mountains of
California/Nevada

Are you sure? Of course many conifers other than junipers exhibit similar
behavior in nature. The difference with junipers is that you can never cut
off
a branch & have the trunk callus over. With pine trees, you can make a jin if
you want one, or cut the branch off if you choose to. Pines callus over
eventually.

The bark on the picture is definitely not a pine. The dead twigs with brown
foliage are typical of juniper twig borer damage, and you don't see that on
pines.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;