Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Default Floral anatomy question

floral parts being spirally
arranged with the leaves grading into bracts and sepaloid and petaloid
tepals.

"Leaves grading into bracts." Interesting. So, even though the primitive
Pereskia is the only cactus retaining leaves in the usual sense, the flowers
include leaves? Since spines are modified leaves, are there any cases where
the spines grade into bracts -- or into regular leaves?

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

I would never have thought of that!

Iris Cohen schreef
Obviously Someone did. My wonderful high school biology teacher said, "A

scientist must be religious." Not in the slobbery
God-is-an-old-man-with-a-long-beard sense, but simply in awe of the wonders
of the universe.

Iris

+ + +
I am all for awe of the wonders of the universe.
But ...
- firstly I think that cases like this are a good proof that the "Someone"
in question was not involved in making this come true. There is too much
work involved, and it would be a stupid way to go about it, handcrafting
everything personally
- secondly the religious point of view is usually not so much awe as
contempt. The attitude all too often is
"Our Somebody made all this stuff with a snap of the fingers so we can
thrash it. If our Somebody feels it was a good idea in the first place He
can restore it at Will, so it does not matter what we do with it"
instead of awe for the unique wonders accumulated through megayears by
irreproducable historic circumstances.

A scientist should be wary of religion and the religious ...
PvR