Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Clive N Savill

Default FSC logo, and others, increasing demand for wood and damage to rainforests..

I have checked the Forest Stewardship Councils website, and at no
point do they suggest people should try to buy less wood. I'm sure
they may have successfully persuaded some in the business to adopt
better practices, but if people who are concerned aout rainforests etc
are buying wood and wood based products left right and centre, as and
when it has one of these sort of logos on, they must be doing more
harm than good. Is anyone telling people its better to not buy wood,
but if you have to...?
I have more about this at the end of my website
GROWYOUROWNHOUSE.ANGELCITIES.COM
Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Just curious.
Is this an alias for Archimedes Plutonium?
Same spelling errror in "Burr Oak" and the same percentage of errors or
worse (better make sure Cereoid does not see this site: he would have a
field day ;-)! )

As to FSC: there seems to be some pretty big basic errors.
1) Most of the FSC wood comes from tree plantations in temperate regions
2) It is better for the enivironment to buy a wooden product rather an
equivalent one from plastic, steel, etc. Lots less energy use, lots less
extra greenhouse gasses, etc. Lots less mining damage, etc. So buying more
wood is better for the environment, as long as it is not applied in the
Japanese fashion (one time use).
3) What will happen in the long run with FSC-certified tropical forests is
an open question, but FSC does increase the chances those forests will
remain standing, which they would not be if they were converted to pulp or
were burnt down to make room for oil palm plantations, etc
PvR

Clive N Savill schreef

Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Cereoid+10

Its just more unadulterated crap on the Internet!!!!

Clive should just move into the cardboard box his expensive computer came
in!!!