GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transformation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/18439-re-transformation.html)

marcel 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

transformation

hi mandy,
after heat shock the cells are very fragile with holes in the cell
wall for take up of plasmid dna or whatever. addition of lb medium is
for recovery and regrowth of the cells. usually you regrow your
transformed cells for 1-2h with shaking to recover before striking
out.
welcome...
marcel

(Mandy) wrote in message . com...
Happy New Year everyone!

My question is about the addition of LB medium after I heat shock my
competent cells-foreign DNA mixture.

What is the principle of adding the LB; what does it do for the cells?
We were having a friendly discussion about it, and I did not know the
answer.

Thanks!
Mandy