Old 26-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Jeffrey L. Hook

Default Digital Sports Timers/Stopwatches for Field Biology Work

I'm sorry about the excessive cross-posting, but I'm in need of some =
*quick* help, and I hope you won't mind.

I'm not a trained biologist. I'm only a public volunteer. I believe =
sports time-keeping equipment can help me in my field work in a =
wildlife-survey project. I need some guidance about that equipment, =
however, and I'm confident there are plenty of coaches and athletes here =
who can help me. Because I'm making this inquiry on my own initiative, =
I'd rather not identify the project, and I'd prefer not even to disclose =
the state in which I'll be participating, although I can say I'll be =
doing this volunteer work in the USA.

Here's some text about measuring the amount of time which we spend =
listening for animal calls at pre-determined points along our assigned =
observation routes. This comes from this project's strict procedural =
guidelines. (I added the emphasis.) =20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

"At each stop the observer listens for 5 minutes, and then records the =
amphibian calling index for each species heard. The 5 minute listening =
period has no initial waiting period. The observer indicates whether =
background noise impaired his/her ability to hear (most surveys use =
yes/no checkbox; some have adopted the noise index developed by =
Massachusetts). If there is *a major noise disturbance*, **lasting one =
minute or longer**, the observer may break the listening period to =
avoid sampling during the excessive noise. If such a time out is taken, =
this is noted on the datasheet. After the major disturbance ends, the =
observer *resumes* listening *for the time remaining*. The time out =
should not be used for background noise."

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

A couple points come to mind:

1. It'd be just about impossible for one observer, working alone, to do =
this with an analog wrist watch, without going nuts, but sports timers =
(or sports stop watches) would seem to be ideal for this.

2. The timer (or stop watch) should be digital, so the user would see a =
clear display, which'd be easy to read.

3. The timer (or stop watch) should be easy to operate, with simple =
push-button controls.

4. The timer (or stop watch) must be able to count down five minutes, =
and it should feature a loud, audible alarm, so an observer who's not =
watching the timer's display will be reminded when the observation =
period has ended. =20

I suspect this is no problem so far, because I guess most inexpensive =
sports timers (or stop watches) can satisfy all those requirements =
easily. =20

The problem pops up when we start thinking about being able to stop the =
five-minute count-down and to resume it for "a major noise disturbance," =
but ONLY for such "noise disturbances" which last a minute or more! =
Hey! Who can tell how long any "major noise disturbance" will last when =
it *starts*? *Nobody* can! =20

It therefore seems such a timer must have "dual capability." It must be =
able to:

A. Count DOWN from five minutes to zero, and

B. Start a *second* count, "counting UP," at the instant any "major =
noise disturbance" begins, and continue to measure the length of that =
"major noise disturbance," to allow the user to know if the =
"disturbance" lasted for a minute or more, AND

C. Then, if the "major noise disturbance" lasts for a minute or more, =
the timer (or stop watch) must somehow be able to ADD the length of that =
disturbance to the end of the five minute original time interval, to =
compensate for the "disturbance."

Whewf! Does this make any sense? I don't see how you can STOP the =
original five minute count-down when any "major noise disturbance" =
begins, because you'll never know if the "disturbance" will last for a =
minute or more. For that reason, it seems you must let the original =
count-down run, but you must also monitor the length of the "major noise =
disturbance," to see if it continues for a minute or more. For that you =
need a timer which can count down from five minutes to zero and which =
can count "up" from zero, in a *second* count, both at the same time. =
Then, assuming the original five-minute count-down doesn't finish before =
the "major noise disturbance" does, you'd want to add the length of that =
"major noise disturbance" to the original five minutes! Good grief! =
Can any timer do that?

It looks like the statement that=20

"the observer may break the listening period to avoid sampling during =
the excessive noise"

doesn't have much practical benefit, unless that observer is some kind =
of clairvoyant, and *knows in advance* how long the "excessive noise" =
will continue! As I said, it looks like the observer must continue the =
original five-minute count-DOWN, while simultaneously "counting UP" to =
determine the length of the "excessive noise," and then must perform =
some miracle to add the disruption to the original count.

(Of course, the best idea might be to forget the whole thing, just to =
start the original count-down over, and to *hope* for no noise =
interruptions! Hah!)=20

1. Does anybody know if inexpensive (c. $25??) sports timers/stop =
watches can do all of this?

2. Can anyone recommend a suitable model?

3. I found a good selection of timers and of stop watches at=20

http://www.cannonsports.com/scripts/...Timer%2FStopw=
atches&SubCategory1=3DDigital+Timers

They're in a price range which isn't too painful for me. Can anyone =
tell me if any of the models on that page can do what this project seems =
to require?

Thanks!

--=20
Jeff Hook
Remove "yle" to reply.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 01:23 AM
5 DAYS left until the deadline: WSEAS World Congress on MATHEMATICAL BIOLOGY and ECOLOGY. Send us your Abstract now. Special Issue of WSEAS Transactions on BIOLOGY and BIOMEDICINE (participates in Science Citation Indexes) WSEAS Newsletter on BIOLOGY and BIOMEDICINE Plant Biology 0 25-11-2004 10:49 PM
WSEAS World Congress on MATHEMATICAL BIOLOGY and ECOLOGY. Send us your Abstract now. Special Issue of WSEAS Transactions on BIOLOGY and BIOMEDICINE (participates in Science Citation Indexes) WSEAS Newsletter on BIOLOGY and BIOMEDICINE Plant Biology 0 18-11-2004 10:45 PM
We are sending to each of you now the REPORT from the 2004 World Conference on Mathematical Biology and Ecology together with instructions of how to get FREE registration in the conference of MATHEMATICS and COMPUTERS in BIOLOGY in Venice (Venetia), W SEAS Biosciences News Plant Biology 0 28-08-2004 05:48 PM
Digital Sports Timers/Stopwatches for Field Biology Work Jeffrey L. Hook Plant Science 0 03-04-2003 08:56 AM