Old 26-06-2009, 06:48 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,sci.environment

Default which soil is better scientifically -- pastured or mowed

I am wondering if at least one of the 50 state ag schools ever
made a scientific study of which is the best soil?

A plot of land has two options let us say. One option is to pasture
some animals, not overpasturing but allowing the grass to grow
faster than the animals can eat it. So it has a minimum pasturing
and it requires some mowing since the animals cannot eat it all.
I don't mean a pasture where it is turned into dirt.

The second plot has no pasturing animals but is mowed frequently.
Here the mowed clippings help the soil in nutrients and fertilizer.

So my question is this. Which soil is the premium soil? Which
behaviour makes for the maximum soil?

I am guessing it is the animal minimal pasturing for something
about grass going through an animals body and the urine is
better than mowed grass clippings.

So has any Ag College of these United States done a proper
science analysis and experiment on this question and come
up with actual numbers data? I would guess no, but am
hopefull that my question will spur someone to do the
experiment.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Have you mowed the lawn yet? mogga United Kingdom 13 16-03-2010 01:09 PM
Mowed with the big Wheelhorse Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 05-05-2008 01:01 AM
Mowed the garden Srgnt Billko Lawns 8 14-10-2007 05:01 PM
"Mowed" bamboo Kinda Usheq Bamboo 2 06-06-2006 02:53 AM
mowed clippings cause damage to plants??? [email protected] Plant Science 0 24-08-2005 08:43 PM