GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please help me identify the species of these trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/185703-please-help-me-identify-species-these-trees.html)

Salim Fadhley 13-07-2009 10:00 PM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

Dear botanists & gardeners,

Would one of you be so kind as to look at this image and tell me what
species each of these these two trees are?

The image link is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/salimfa...74185?edited=1

You will have to mouse-over the image to see the highlight marks. If
you click on the magnifying glass icon above the image you can see a
higher-resolution image of the same shot which will allow you to see
the shapes of the individual leaves.

Thanks!

Sean Houtman[_2_] 16-07-2009 10:28 AM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

Salim Fadhley wrote in
:

Dear botanists & gardeners,

Would one of you be so kind as to look at this image and tell me what
species each of these these two trees are?

The image link is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/salimfa...et-72157621276
374185?edited=1

You will have to mouse-over the image to see the highlight marks. If
you click on the magnifying glass icon above the image you can see a
higher-resolution image of the same shot which will allow you to see
the shapes of the individual leaves.

Thanks!

Tree one looks like a weeping spruce, several species have weeping forms,
so I can't say if this is a norway spruce or some other. The other one
isn't distinct enough with the flowers for me to say.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms

Ernest Major 16-07-2009 11:30 AM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

In message 2, Sean
Houtman writes
Salim Fadhley wrote in
:

Dear botanists & gardeners,

Would one of you be so kind as to look at this image and tell me what
species each of these these two trees are?

The image link is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/salimfa...et-72157621276
374185?edited=1

You will have to mouse-over the image to see the highlight marks. If
you click on the magnifying glass icon above the image you can see a
higher-resolution image of the same shot which will allow you to see
the shapes of the individual leaves.

Thanks!

Tree one looks like a weeping spruce, several species have weeping forms,
so I can't say if this is a norway spruce or some other. The other one
isn't distinct enough with the flowers for me to say.

Sean

I thought that the first one looked like a Chamaecyparis. The foliage of
the second looks like cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), but the
flowers don't seem quite right (too small).

But there's not enough detail visible for me to make a positive
identification of either.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 17-07-2009 11:39 AM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

Ernest Major said:

In message 2, Sean
Houtman writes
Salim Fadhley wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salimfa...374185edited=1

You will have to mouse-over the image to see the highlight marks. If
you click on the magnifying glass icon above the image you can see a
higher-resolution image of the same shot which will allow you to see
the shapes of the individual leaves.

I thought that the first one looked like a Chamaecyparis.

I had that impression, too.

The foliage of
the second looks like cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), but the
flowers don't seem quite right (too small).

Privet came to my mind, though I doubt that's right.

But there's not enough detail visible for me to make a positive
identification of either.

Agree with that.

Wonder where these mystery trees are located...

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Stewart Robert Hinsley 17-07-2009 02:21 PM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

In message
, Pat
Kiewicz writes
Ernest Major said:

In message 2, Sean
Houtman writes
Salim Fadhley wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salimfa...t7215762276374
185edited=1

You will have to mouse-over the image to see the highlight marks. If
you click on the magnifying glass icon above the image you can see a
higher-resolution image of the same shot which will allow you to see
the shapes of the individual leaves.

I thought that the first one looked like a Chamaecyparis.

I had that impression, too.

The foliage of
the second looks like cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), but the
flowers don't seem quite right (too small).

Privet came to my mind, though I doubt that's right.

There is Ligustrum lucidum, sometimes known as glossy privet, or
largeleaf privet, though I doubt that as well

D. Staples 17-07-2009 04:28 PM

Please help me identify the species of these trees

Appears to be European, location could help.