Old 17-08-2009, 01:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Tall Ohio Wildflower?

What's this, looks a little coneflower-ish and a little ironweed-ish.

Central Ohio, it's been out for a month, grows very tall sometimes
(say 8 feet), found in sunny roadside waste areas.

It takes the place of goldenrod until the goldenrod comes out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828502096/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3827704593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828501812/

Old 17-08-2009, 07:27 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:44:12 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

What's this, looks a little coneflower-ish and a little ironweed-ish.

Central Ohio, it's been out for a month, grows very tall sometimes
(say 8 feet), found in sunny roadside waste areas.

It takes the place of goldenrod until the goldenrod comes out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828502096/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3827704593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828501812/

Maybe Wingstem (actinomeris alternifolia)? See:

http://images.google.com/images?comp...s+alternifolia

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 17-08-2009, 07:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

What's this, looks a little coneflower-ish and a little ironweed-ish.

Central Ohio, it's been out for a month, grows very tall sometimes
(say 8 feet), found in sunny roadside waste areas.

It takes the place of goldenrod until the goldenrod comes out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828502096/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3827704593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828501812/

Maybe Wingstem (actinomeris alternifolia)? See:

http://images.google.com/images?comp...s+alternifolia

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Looks good, thanks.

Oddly it's on a page of Newcomb's wildflower guide that I had examined,
but the illustration he has is so unlike it that I didn't match it over
the years. The question would come up each year.

Old 17-08-2009, 08:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

What's this, looks a little coneflower-ish and a little ironweed-ish.

Central Ohio, it's been out for a month, grows very tall sometimes
(say 8 feet), found in sunny roadside waste areas.

It takes the place of goldenrod until the goldenrod comes out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828502096/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3827704593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/3828501812/

Maybe Wingstem (actinomeris alternifolia)? See:

http://images.google.com/images?comp...s+alternifolia

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Looks good, thanks.

Oddly it's on a page of Newcomb's wildflower guide that I had examined,
but the illustration he has is so unlike it that I didn't match it over
the years. The question would come up each year.

Yes, page 376 I would guess ;-)

Never seen it around my area, but it looks a bit similar to
Jerusalem Artichoke (which we do have). I didn't think it
looked quite right for that though, so I had to look up JA
again to see that it wasn't. As long as I had the book in my
hand I just paged backward a bit till I got to the
"alternate leaves" entries in same...

I usually look in Newcomb's first, then Peterson's, then I
punt to the more difficult books to use in my possession for
ID purposes. It isn't a question of whether I have it in a
book or not, but rather finding it. I'm not the best trying
to use the more technical keys.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b