GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose Coreopsis? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/187106-rose-coreopsis.html)

Ron Hardin 08-09-2009 03:16 PM

Rose Coreopsis?

Is this Rose Coreopsis? Central Ohio roadside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

leaves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

It matches Newcomb's pretty well but matches no example on the web.

Sean Houtman[_2_] 25-09-2009 12:59 AM

Rose Coreopsis?

Ron Hardin wrote in news:4AA66738.752
@mindspring.com:

Is this Rose Coreopsis? Central Ohio roadside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

leaves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

It matches Newcomb's pretty well but matches no example on the web.

It looks more like a Cosmos to me. Coreopsis rosea has linear leaves, your
images show pinnate leaves. The difference between Cosmos and Coreopsis is
largely in the pappus, Coreopsis has a low crown or two barbless teeth,
while Cosmos has barbed awns.

You also don't say how large the flowers are, C. rosea is generally less
than 2 inches across, while Cosmos tends to be more than 2 inches.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms

Ron Hardin 27-09-2009 09:56 PM

Rose Coreopsis?

Sean Houtman wrote:

[...]

Cosmos looks like a good match (it's not in Newman's!); about 2.5 inches across.

One roadside flower by itself, no others anywhere to be seen.

Still there to be measured. No frost, and nobody's run over it.