GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange flower in Californa yard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/190692-strange-flower-californa-yard.html)

Mason C 08-04-2010 03:37 AM

Strange flower in Californa yard

Can you identify this strange flower?

I would describe it has having 50 3/4 inch green "flowers" on
3 or 4 inch stems on the top of a two-foot stalk.

http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/19.html

also http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/20.html

It's in my back yard in northern California, probably put
there by me unwittingly.

I'd appreciate knowing your name for this thing.

Mason C

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-04-2010 05:58 PM

Strange flower in Californa yard

In message , Mason C
writes
Can you identify this strange flower?

I would describe it has having 50 3/4 inch green "flowers" on
3 or 4 inch stems on the top of a two-foot stalk.

http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/19.html

also http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/20.html

It's in my back yard in northern California, probably put
there by me unwittingly.

I'd appreciate knowing your name for this thing.

Mason C

It's a Euphorbia (spurge). I don't know the species, but it looks
similar to Euphorbia characias and Euphorbia x martinii
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mason C 08-04-2010 09:00 PM

Strange flower in Californa yard

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:58:41 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Mason C
writes
Can you identify this strange flower?

I would describe it has having 50 3/4 inch green "flowers" on
3 or 4 inch stems on the top of a two-foot stalk.

http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/19.html

also http://frontal-lobe.info/flowers/20.html

It's in my back yard in northern California, probably put
there by me unwittingly.

I'd appreciate knowing your name for this thing.

Mason C

It's a Euphorbia (spurge). I don't know the species, but it looks
similar to Euphorbia characias and Euphorbia x martinii

Thank you. I'll know to avoid handling it. Wiki says not a good idea.

Mason C

monique 12-04-2010 08:54 PM

Strange flower in Californa yard

Plants of this nature used to be in the genus Euphorbia. Now most
botanists place them in the segregate genus Tithymalus. There are many
species; most have "spurge" as part of the common name.

M. Reed

allina 07-05-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monique (Post 883221)

Mason C wrote:
Can you identify this strange flower?

I would describe it has having 50 3/4 inch green "flowers" on
3 or 4 inch stems on the top of a two-foot stalk.

Photo

also Photo

It's in my back yard in northern California, probably put
there by me unwittingly.

I'd appreciate knowing your name for this thing.

Mason C

Fleur De Lis is a widely known floral design shop that brings to you fresh flowers in exquisite floral arrangements. Get in touch with the shop online to get hold of fragrant bright flowers at affordable rate !!! Visit- Send Online Flowers to UK England | Best Florist Windsor Berkshire Maidenhead Slough