GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is this a Spruce staminate cone? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/190727-spruce-staminate-cone.html)

Gnarlodious 10-04-2010 04:35 AM

Is this a Spruce staminate cone?

Source is a Colorado Blue Spruce located in Santa Fe.

http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce1.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce2.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce3.jpg

Is this an expired pollenator cone? I searched all over the internet
but found no example of this type of cone. These are a little longer
than 1cm long not including the spines.

-- Gnarlie

Sean Houtman[_2_] 12-04-2010 10:54 PM

Is this a Spruce staminate cone?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:35:21 -0700 (PDT), Gnarlodious
wrote:
Source is a Colorado Blue Spruce located in Santa Fe.

http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce1.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce2.jpg
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/Spruce3.jpg

Is this an expired pollenator cone? I searched all over the internet
but found no example of this type of cone. These are a little longer
than 1cm long not including the spines.

It looks like a Cooley Spruce Gall. They are caused by adelgids.

Sean

www.flikr.com/groms

Gnarlodious 19-04-2010 02:06 PM

On Apr 12, 3:54*pm, Sean Houtman wrote:

It looks like a Cooley Spruce Gall. They are caused by adelgids.

YES! Thank you, that's it!
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05534.html
It must be that the aphid's saliva produces a quasi-pinecone growth of
the stem, because they look remakabley like cones.

-- Gnarlie