Old 16-08-2010, 05:25 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Default first ever wild hazelnuts today; organic plums

Today was a milestone for me concerning hazelnuts, corylus species for
I have growing american hazelnuts
and this year one bush produced about 50 nuts. I do not know why only
one bush out of 100 produced. All are three years old, and maybe it
was an exceptional bush. Now I must say that I expected the taste and
flavor to be superior to the store bought hazelnuts but sad to say
they were not very strong flavored. Perhaps if I had let them dry,
they may have given a stronger flavor. They were very small, where the
shell and kernel about the size of 1/2 peanut shell. I have eaten
freshly picked peanuts before and was unimpressed by their taste and
flavor, so maybe it is a matter of drying and roasting the peanuts and
the hazelnuts to make them taste better than fresh picked.

Also, today I had a feast of fresh organic plums, while fighting the
swarms of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are dreadful this year. These plums
were great in that they were so ripe that some of them had a bad spot
so I tried eating around them but would explode the liquid contents
while taking a bite.

Trouble with store bought plums is that they were never
tree ripened, and the worst of these store fruits is peaches where
they simply are not worth buying, never ripened and picked too early.

Also this year was the first in which I had my own apricots, where we
had no late Spring frost.

All in all a great year of organic food from the orchard and garden.
Even my watermelons produced in the July and August heat with more to
come.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/

Wild Plums Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 21 18-09-2012 08:36 AM
Hazelnuts in the South Maryc Edible Gardening 7 21-06-2005 09:50 PM
hazelnuts Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 10:03 AM
Hazelnuts abner Gardening 1 06-09-2004 08:43 PM
hazelnuts form seed sasha United Kingdom 0 02-09-2004 01:08 AM