Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default can anyone identify this wildflower for me?

A small wildflower was blooming in my woods in late Sept. I have no
idea what it is. I have been trying to find someone who can identify
it for me, but with no success. A photo of it is posted on
flowersforums.com at http://www.flowersforums.com/can-any...me-230169.html
What is it? I have only found one of them. It is about 5-6" tall. The
stem is slightly hairy. The leaves are toothed (teeth small and about
1/2" apart). The petals are white, thin, and curly, almost like witch
hazel petals. The center of the flower is reddish-purple and seems to
be composed of many small flowers, like an aster.
I live in the mountains of western Maine, near the NH and Canadian
borders. Our woods are overgrown farm, at the point in succession
where pines are giving way to hardwoods, and this plant is growing
right in the midde of a path through our woods.
Thanks!