Old 14-12-2010, 02:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Germinating exotic seeds.

I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2 min
on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to retard
moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I worry about
oxygen lockout?

Please comment, Peter.

Old 14-12-2010, 05:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:55:03 +1100, "Peter Jason"
wrote:
I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2 min
on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to retard
moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I worry about
oxygen lockout?

I don't see any significant problem with that setup, except for some
seeds that may need darkness to germinate.

Sean

--
Yeah, I got facebook
Old 14-12-2010, 06:12 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:
I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2
min on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to
retard moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I
worry about oxygen lockout?

I don't see any significant problem with that setup,
except for some seeds that may need darkness to germinate.

Sean

I plant the seeds about 5mm beneath the surface, so they're
in the dark. The cover of the petri dish sure retards
drying out.

Old 14-12-2010, 06:15 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On 2010-12-14, Peter Jason wrote:
I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2 min
on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to retard
moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I worry about
oxygen lockout?

I Imagine your not leaving these dishes for extended amounts of time sealed, in which case this seems reasonable. It would be surprising if the newly germinated plants were to deplete their oxygen supplies in the span of = 24 hrs between inspections. What sort of "exotic" seeds are you germinating?

--
Troy Most of the time,
Capheind some of the time,
Old 14-12-2010, 09:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On 2010-12-14, Peter Jason wrote:
I use glass petri dishes which I fill with sifted soil.
This assembly is put into the microwave and zapped for 2
min
on high to kill spores, other seeds, and bugs.

When cool I moisten the result and insert the seeds.

Is this OK? When I put the lid on the petri dish to
retard
moisture loss, and make them stackable, should I worry
about
oxygen lockout?

I Imagine your not leaving these dishes for extended
amounts of time sealed, in which case this seems
reasonable. It would be surprising if the newly germinated
plants were to deplete their oxygen supplies in the span
of = 24 hrs between inspections. What sort of "exotic"
seeds are you germinating?

At the moment I'm trying to grow agapanthus seeds.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

Exotic means simply making a plant to grow out of its natural habitat.Get start from seed, first you must soak the seeds in warm water for one day to enhance germination.For indoor,you can start them at any time of year. Be careful if you have pet, as the asparagus fern is toxic to dogs and cats.
Fruit Trees