Old 25-09-2011, 04:30 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Bottle-wash Plant

At the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka I was shown
two species of flowers called Bottle-wash plants -- one red and the
other one yellow. They, indeed, looked like the old-time feeding
bottle washers. I could not find their scientific/botanical names on
the Internet. I will appreciate if some one will help me with this.
Thanks.
Khalid R. Siddiqui, MD.
Old 25-09-2011, 05:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article ,
Khalid Siddiqui wrote:
At the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka I was shown
two species of flowers called Bottle-wash plants -- one red and the
other one yellow. They, indeed, looked like the old-time feeding
bottle washers. I could not find their scientific/botanical names on
the Internet. I will appreciate if some one will help me with this.
Thanks.
Khalid R. Siddiqui, MD.

I've seen a tropical plant called a bottle brush plant, but I don't know
its botanical name. Perhaps searching under 'bottle brush plant' will
help you find it. Let us know what happens.

Old 25-09-2011, 07:19 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 25, 12:15*pm, (Beverly Erlebacher) wrote:
In article ,
Khalid Siddiqui wrote:

At the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka I was shown
two species of flowers called Bottle-wash plants -- one red and the
other one yellow. They, indeed, *looked like the old-time *feeding
bottle washers. I could not find their scientific/botanical names on
the Internet. I will appreciate if some one will help me with this.
Thanks.
Khalid R. Siddiqui, MD.

I've seen a tropical plant called a bottle brush plant, but I don't know
its botanical name. *Perhaps searching under 'bottle brush plant' will
help you find it. *Let us know what happens.

Yes, it did help. It belongs to the genus Callistemon. Thank you very
much. Going over the video clip carefully it seems that the guide is
indeed saying 'bottlebrush'.
BTW do you know of any site that contains the names (and photographs
if possible) of the orchids found at the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens.
Thanks.
Khalid
Old 26-09-2011, 03:36 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article
,
Khalid Siddiqui wrote:
On Sep 25, 12:15=A0pm, (Beverly Erlebacher) wrote:
In article =

..com,
Khalid Siddiqui wrote:

At the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka I was shown
two species of flowers called Bottle-wash plants -- one red and the
other one yellow. They, indeed, looked like the old-time feeding
bottle washers. I could not find their scientific/botanical names on
the Internet. I will appreciate if some one will help me with this.
Thanks.
Khalid R. Siddiqui, MD.

I've seen a tropical plant called a bottle brush plant, but I don't know
its botanical name. Perhaps searching under 'bottle brush plant' will
help you find it. Let us know what happens.

Yes, it did help. It belongs to the genus Callistemon. Thank you very
much. Going over the video clip carefully it seems that the guide is
indeed saying 'bottlebrush'.

It seems the genus _Callistemon_ is now included in _Melaleuca_:
http://www-public.jcu.edu.
au/discovernature/plantscommon/JCUDEV_005987

Maybe that is why you were shown yellow as well as red flowers. I was
a bit puzzled by the former because most (but not all) callistemons
have red flowers, but greenish cream to cream yellow flowers are quite
common in the melaleucas, and they also look like bottle brushes.

Anyway, a Google search for :"bottlebrush melaleuca site:.au" came up
with the above page at the James Cook University of North Queensland
(campuses in Townsville and Cairns) where I found this information:
quoting
"The genus Callistemon has recently been combined with the genus
Melaleuca. It is endemic to Australia, where many species can be
observed growing along watercourses."
/quoting

BTW do you know of any site that contains the names (and photographs
if possible) of the orchids found at the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens.

Can't help you there. I haven't been in Ceylon since 1970. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 22-10-2011, 10:59 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

The genus Callistemon has recently been combined with the genus
Melaleuca.
According to the editor of the Kew Checklist:
Someone did that but it has already been proven unnecessary and is therefore not followed.
In other words, Callistemon is still a separate genus.
Iris

Gala Apple Tree in Northwest Yard (Wash state) paul Gardening 6 28-05-2003 04:44 AM
Snowblower for wash dc area allan Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Anyone tried the mower deck Wash Port? CNB Lawns 0 03-04-2003 01:08 PM
Tar Wash! Terry Lynton United Kingdom 1 17-01-2003 05:45 PM
Snowblower for wash dc area allan Lawns 3 11-12-2002 09:37 PM