Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Plant stake problem.

I have designed a tall wooden plant stake with
staggered pegs inserted all the way up.

The idea is for climbing plants to grow upwards
and for the pegs to hold up the main stem.

My question is: should I encourage the plant to go
up the stake clockwise or counterclockwise?

The plants involves are passion fruit, tomatoes,
hedge roses, and jasmine.

Please help,
Peter
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article ,
Peter Jason wrote:
I have designed a tall wooden plant stake with
staggered pegs inserted all the way up.

The idea is for climbing plants to grow upwards
and for the pegs to hold up the main stem.

My question is: should I encourage the plant to go
up the stake clockwise or counterclockwise?

The plants involves are passion fruit, tomatoes,
hedge roses, and jasmine.

The tomatoes and roses aren't climbing plants, so all you need to do
is fasten them to the stake with a loose tie. You can't really get
them to stay by forcing them to twine unless you tie them in place
anyway. Btw, young tomato stems can be brittle if the plant has plenty
of water, so it's best, if you've got to bend them, to do so when they
are more malleable, e.g. well into a hot afternoon.

I don't have any experience with passionfruit or jasmine. If these
are twining plants, they will have a natural direction of twining,
characteristic of their species, so just go along with that.

IME, twining plants will twine up anything that isn't extremely smooth,
and for non-twining plants, you just need a stake rough or irregular
enough to keep your ties from sliding down.