Old 07-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default theory of getting-on-top and theory of weeding

I ran some tests last year and this year with the aim of looking for the
optimum strategy of weeding and or fertilizing. And I came to these
conclusions that in
large scale agriculture that no fertilizing is ever necessary provided
that the cutting of grasses and weeds nearby to the desired-plant. Thus,
if all farms were
run where a pushmower between rows of crops that such would be optimum.
Never one drop of gasoline or fuel ever used.

My strawberry patch. Almost everyone reading this message and who keeps
garden believes that the desired plant and black dirt all around it is
the greatest
thing. Far from the truth. It takes alot of work to keep a strawberry
patch weed
free and in black dirt. But is it the optimum? The optimum is what
plants themselves must do to thrive. Weeds and grasses do not harm a
strawberry
patch as long as they are kept below the level of the strawberry leaves.
And the
clippings provide fertilizer for the strawberries. And no-one knows if
the disturbed soil of a strawberry invites insect parasites. The best
for a strawberry
plant is to keep all the grass and weeds clipped below the level of the
strawberry
leaves. It is reckless to pull up weeds and grasses near strawberries
but rather
to clip them and have them fertilize the strawberries.

And no-one knows whether a strawberry plant prefers the soil surrounding
of
weed and grass free or whether the strawberry roots prefer to have
neighboring
roots.

As long as the strawberries have no competitors that get taller than the
strawberry
leaves and to use the clippings as fertilizer is the optimum. Besides,
it is much
easier and faster to go out and clip the weeds and grasses in your
strawberry patch than to pull up by the roots.

Theory: plants win if they can get taller than their neighboring plants
and once
they win by getting taller they kill their neighbors.

Theory: no fertilizer application is ever needed if the plant clippings
are constantly added to the soil. In the future when gasoline and
petroleum become
rare then agriculture will be forced to farm in this method.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 07-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Webster

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
I ran some tests last year and this year with the aim of looking for the
optimum strategy of weeding and or fertilizing. And I came to these
conclusions that in
large scale agriculture that no fertilizing is ever necessary provided
that the cutting of grasses and weeds nearby to the desired-plant. Thus,
if all farms were
run where a pushmower between rows of crops that such would be optimum.
Never one drop of gasoline or fuel ever used.

I love this. So many wrong assumptions it is virtually impossible to know
where to start. Still thinking of Oz setting out with his 15" push mower to
do 1000 acres of combinable crops

Jim Webster

Old 07-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

run where a pushmower between rows of crops that such would be optimum.
Never one drop of gasoline or fuel ever used.

My push mower wouldn't accomplish much if I didn't use gas in it ;-)

Old 07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Jim Webster

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
.com...

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

run where a pushmower between rows of crops that such would be optimum.
Never one drop of gasoline or fuel ever used.

My push mower wouldn't accomplish much if I didn't use gas in it ;-)

I assumed he meant a "sweat and swear" machine with no engine, it is powered
by land drive through the wheels to the blades, the faster you push, the
faster the blades go round

Jim Webster

Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

I assumed he meant a "sweat and swear" machine with no engine, it is

powered
by land drive through the wheels to the blades, the faster you push, the
faster the blades go round

I figured as much. I was just having fun ;-) Now I know what the ones with
no engine are called, though ;-)

Old 08-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Gordon Couger

I have a 160 acre farm that rents for 5,000 a year. If you wish to try your
methods I would be willing to rent it to you if you would agree to install
web cams so we can all watch you push the mower up and down each row a half
mile row and there are 800 rows on the farm. So if you can push the more at
2 miles an hour you cover 2 rows an hour so it take 10 40 hour weeks to get
across once. If you are willing to work the work the farmers usual 80 hour
weeks you can make it in 5 weeks plus time for the rains. In 5 weeks the
weeds will grow up too big for you mower to control them and you can't hire
people to push mowers. So you will have to reinstate slavery to farm that
place.

Good luck
Gordon

You are neglecting two things. Water lost by evaotranpriation of the grass
and the loss of nitrogen by denitrifying bacteria that are always at work to
some degree added to that the fertilizer is locked up in the grass until it
is decomposed.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

I love this. So many wrong assumptions it is virtually impossible to know
where to start. Still thinking of Oz setting out with his 15" push mower to
do 1000 acres of combinable crops

I don't think they make 4" pushmowers to go down rows of wheat.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Jim Webster

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

I love this. So many wrong assumptions it is virtually impossible to know
where to start. Still thinking of Oz setting out with his 15" push mower

do 1000 acres of combinable crops

I don't think they make 4" pushmowers to go down rows of wheat.

I'm sure I could lend you a pair of kitchen sissors if it would help

Jim Webster

Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Jim Webster

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
[...]

if he rents the place, I vote we run a trip out there to watch him, hell
I'll even fly from the UK to see it

Jim Webster

Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

I love this. So many wrong assumptions it is virtually impossible to know
where to start. Still thinking of Oz setting out with his 15" push mower

do 1000 acres of combinable crops

I don't think they make 4" pushmowers to go down rows of wheat.

I'm sure I could lend you a pair of kitchen sissors if it would help

gee, thanks ....

Old 08-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Michelle Fulton wrote:

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

run where a pushmower between rows of crops that such would be optimum.
Never one drop of gasoline or fuel ever used.

My push mower wouldn't accomplish much if I didn't use gas in it ;-)

By pushmower I am speaking of an engineless and motorless devise.
Either the energy comes from the human or draft animal.

The only sustainable agriculture is that of where no energy is used except
for human-draft-animal energy because 1 unit energy input gives 50 units
of energy output in food. In our modern petrol driven agriculture 1 unit
energy
output costs us approx 25 units energy input.

When this planet Earth exhausts most of its petroleum then sustainable
agriculture must succeed. This is where Human population is no more than
2 billion people (instead of our current 8 billion people) and where 1/2 of
those 2 billion will be working in agriculture. Where 1/2 of the people in
the USA will be working on the farm again and where a farm size
is typically not thousands of acres but a hundred acres or less. Where
no petrol is ever used.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim Webster

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message

When this planet Earth exhausts most of its petroleum then sustainable
agriculture must succeed. This is where Human population is no more than
2 billion people (instead of our current 8 billion people) and where 1/2

of
those 2 billion will be working in agriculture. Where 1/2 of the people in
the USA will be working on the farm again and where a farm size
is typically not thousands of acres but a hundred acres or less. Where
no petrol is ever used.

this is the guy who had a tree blow down near his house and told us how he
used a chain saw to cut it up.

what is wrong with the old hand powered bushmans?

but he has kilfiled me because I kept asking difficult questions like that
one

Jim Webster

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

this is the guy who had a tree blow down near his house and told us how he
used a chain saw to cut it up.

what is wrong with the old hand powered bushmans?

but he has kilfiled me because I kept asking difficult questions like that
one

But, Jim, if everyone else follows his advice, then pollution will be
reduced dramatically, and he wouldn't have to worry about running out of
fossil fuel ;-)

Old 08-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Opinicus

Archimedes Plutonium said:

Either the energy comes from the human or draft animal.

And the human or "draft" animal's energy comes from...

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Old 09-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Iris Cohen

Jim, "Archimedes" is a known schizophrenic. He probably doesn't even have a
farm. it is all in his imagination. Ignore him.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)