Old 14-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Phred

Default The "Magic" tree that kills snakes instantly........

In article ,
(Jean) wrote:
Any one knows more about the magical tree (called " Analivega Patta"
,I don't know its botanical name ) found in the forests of southern
India ?
Snakes which come under this tree are paralyzed instantly and will be
dead within minutes.... according to The Hindu newspaper.
The bark of this tree is a powerful antivenom,when crushed and taken
along with water.
This magical power was noticed by some tribes when they saw the
skeletons of snake accumulated under the tree !

Have you asked in sci.bio.botany ?

(Or, perhaps, alt.astrology&pyramids

Addendum: A quick google turned up just one link! (Time to buy a
lotto ticket! It was to the article you saw in _The Hindu_ at
http://www.thehindu.com/2003/05/13/s...1300200500.htm
(I couldn't get to the page directly from the Google link, but a
copy/paste of the URL from the cached version got there okay, YMMV.)

The bit I really liked about the tree as described was this:

quoting
However, the tree is very rare within the jungle. The tribals say they
know the location of 20 such trees within this forest area and these
trees stand quite far away from one another. This again is a
calculative handiwork of the Nature. If there had been too many
'Analivega patta' trees in the forest it would result in the
extinction of venomous snakes in the forest.
/quoting

Ahh... The wisdom of Gaia. ;-)
http://www.gaia.org/

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 14-05-2003, 10:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

In Europe there was a wide-spread belief (once upon a time) that ash trees
(Fraxinus) had some such properties. I will give my Indian tree books a
quick try tomorrow.
PvR

PS Once upon a time there were also believed to be poisonous trees that
could be recognized by the dead birds accumulating under it (they tried to
fly over the tree but were smitten with the poison)

(Jean) wrote:
Any one knows more about the magical tree (called " Analivega Patta"
,I don't know its botanical name ) found in the forests of southern
India ?
Snakes which come under this tree are paralyzed instantly and will be
dead within minutes.... according to The Hindu newspaper.
The bark of this tree is a powerful antivenom,when crushed and taken
along with water.
This magical power was noticed by some tribes when they saw the
skeletons of snake accumulated under the tree !

Phred schreef

Old 15-05-2003, 10:08 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

No luck. Not that I expected any after reading the article. If this is a
local name tied to these uses ("patta" being an Indian word with a meaning
in this direction?) this will be known only locally.
PvR

P van Rijckevorsel schreef

Old 15-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
In Europe there was a wide-spread belief (once upon a time) that ash trees
(Fraxinus) had some such properties. I will give my Indian tree books a
quick try tomorrow.
PvR

PS Once upon a time there were also believed to be poisonous trees that
could be recognized by the dead birds accumulating under it (they tried to
fly over the tree but were smitten with the poison)

That may be the semi-mythical Upas tree, the poisonous exhalations of
which killed everything for miles around. You aren't supposed to ask
how people knew there was a tree in the middle of this dead zone. I
say "semi-mythical" because upas is also associated with a real tree,
Antiaris toxicaria, the sap of which is used to make an arrow poison.

I googled on "upas tree" and found among other things a poem by Pushkin,
which I hope is less florid in Russian than in English at

http://ruslit.virtualave.net/pushkin/upasengl.html

As well as this account at http://www.bartleby.com/81/16994.html

Applied to anything baneful or of evil influence. The tradition
is that a putrid stream rises from the tree which grows in the
island of Java, and that whatever the vapour touches dies. This
fable is chiefly due to Foersch, a Dutch physician, who
published his narrative in 1783. "Not a tree," he
says, "nor blade of grass is to be found in the valley or
surrounding mountains. Not a beast or bird, reptile or living
thing, lives in the vicinity." He adds that on "one
occasion 1,600 refugees encamped within fourteen miles of it,
and all but 300 died within two months." This fable Darwin
has perpetuated in his ILoves of the Plants./I Bennett has
shown that the Dutchman's account is a mere
traveller's tale, for the tree while growing is quite
innocuous, though the juice may be used for poison; the whole
neighbourhood is most richly covered with vegetation; men can
fearlessly walk under the tree, and birds roost on its
branches. A upas tree grows in Kew Gardens, and flourishes
amidst other hot-house plants.

Old 15-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Sounds like something similar to the legends of the Upas tree, Antiaris
toxicaria, which is native to the South Pacific & possibly southeast Asia. The
sap is poisonous & was used on blow-darts. The legend about it being deadly to
sleep under may have arisen because the tree was common near an active volcano
that gave out poisonous fumes.
There is an equally or more poisonous tree native to Florida and the Caribbean,
the manchineel, Hippomane mancinella. People are warned not to sit under it,
because dripping sap can cause a severe rash. The two trees are not related.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
PS Once upon a time there were also believed to be poisonous trees that
could be recognized by the dead birds accumulating under it (they tried

to fly over the tree but were smitten with the poison)

Beverly Erlebacher schreef
That may be the semi-mythical Upas tree, the poisonous exhalations of
which killed everything for miles around.

+ + +
That is what I was referring to
+ + +

You aren't supposed to ask
how people knew there was a tree in the middle of this dead zone. I
say "semi-mythical" because upas is also associated with a real tree,
Antiaris toxicaria, the sap of which is used to make an arrow poison.

I googled on "upas tree" and found among other things a poem by Pushkin,
which I hope is less florid in Russian than in English at

http://ruslit.virtualave.net/pushkin/upasengl.html

As well as this account at http://www.bartleby.com/81/16994.html

[snip] This fable is chiefly due to Foersch, a Dutch physician, who
published his narrative in 1783.

Being Dutch I confess to never having heard of this Foersch [Försch ?], in
this country the story is attributed to the famous Rumphius, likely as in

http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/titles/3102.htm

PvR

Old 15-05-2003, 08:56 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Sounds like something similar to the legends of the Upas tree, Antiaris
toxicaria, which is native to the South Pacific & possibly southeast Asia.

+ + +
Actually the species occurs in Africa too. There were seventeen species
described in the genus which were reduced to first four, then one species.
+ + +

The sap is poisonous & was used on blow-darts. The legend about it being

deadly to sleep under may have arisen because the tree was common near an
active volcano that gave out poisonous fumes.
There is an equally or more poisonous tree native to Florida and the

Caribbean, the manchineel, Hippomane mancinella. People are warned not to
sit under it, because dripping sap can cause a severe rash. The two trees
are not related.
Iris,

+ + +
The Euphorbiaceae s.l. (to which Hippomane belongs) contain some more
species with a reputation for being poisonous, with names such as
blind-my-eyes. Don't forget about Anacardiaceae.
PvR

Old 15-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
There is an equally or more poisonous tree native to Florida and the Caribbean,
the manchineel, Hippomane mancinella. People are warned not to sit under it,
because dripping sap can cause a severe rash. The two trees are not related.

There's always _Tilia tomentosa_ (from S.E. Europe) which is reported as
killing (bumble) bees. One anecdote is that there were so many dead bees
under the edge of one tree that there was a circular zone of enhanced
soil fertility the next year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen writes
There is an equally or more poisonous tree native to Florida and the

Caribbean, the manchineel, Hippomane mancinella. People are warned not to
sit under it, because dripping sap can cause a severe rash. The two trees
are not related.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
There's always _Tilia tomentosa_ (from S.E. Europe) which is reported as
killing (bumble) bees. One anecdote is that there were so many dead bees
under the edge of one tree that there was a circular zone of enhanced
soil fertility the next year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Well, carefull here. They cleared that up. The bees were not poisoned but
died of hunger. Linden trees are especially popular late in the season when
they are just about the only source of nectar. Nevertheless what nectar
there is is not enough to save the bees from collapsing on the spot.
PvR

Old 16-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Iris Cohen

There's always _Tilia tomentosa_ (from S.E. Europe) which is reported as
killing (bumble) bees.

Sounds very far-fetched. As far as I know, bumblebees do not travel in swarms
and do not pollinate trees. They are solitary, they live in the ground, & work
on herbaceous flowers. In most cases where large numbers of honeybees have
fallen to the ground, they were drunk on fermented nectar. I don't think it
kills them. If they died suddenly, it was from something else, not a tree.