GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   first leaves of plants-- thought of as evol.vestiges or fetus-differences (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/29298-first-leaves-plants-thought-evol-vestiges-fetus-differences.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 27-05-2003 06:56 PM

first leaves of plants-- thought of as evol.vestiges or fetus-differences

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
IIRC monocots have 0-2 cotyledons and dicots 2-6.
The idea of dicots as a natural group is being abandoned.
It may be that the eudicots do have always two cotyledons, I would have to
check.

The eudicot _Cyclamen_ (Primulaceae) only has one cotyledon. [Ref: Grey-
Wilson's book on the genus.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

P van Rijckevorsel 27-05-2003 07:20 PM

first leaves of plants-- thought of as evol.vestiges or fetus-differences

P van Rijckevorsel writes
IIRC monocots have 0-2 cotyledons and dicots 2-6.

The idea of dicots as a natural group is being abandoned.
It may be that the eudicots do have always two cotyledons, I would have
to check.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
The eudicot _Cyclamen_ (Primulaceae) only has one cotyledon. [Ref: Grey-
Wilson's book on the genus.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +