Old 28-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Landscape Architecture; evergreens to buffaloberry to amur-maple

There should be a landscape architecture newsgroup dealing with the
science
of it. I would have already posted my contribution to such a newsgroup
awhile
back when I spoke of beauty in landscape architecture as the beauty of
"rows"
and that specimen trees dotted here and there are not pretty but ugly.
That
Landscape Architecture beauty is found when trees or shrubs or plants
are
in rows. And that if the Golden Mean Ratio can be observed in rows would

accent the beauty even more. A rectangle block or rows of trees of 1 to
1.61..

And the trees of a Golden Mean Rectangle must be about the same size,
otherwise ugly.

I have one lot that is now near complete in achieving a Golden Mean
Rectangle
with two rows of blue spruce and concolor fir. A row of cedar-juniper. A
row of
amur maple and two rows of buffalo-berry (russian olive with its silvery
leaves).

crude diagram:

| j a s |
| u m p |
| n u r |
| i r u |
| p c |
| e e |
| r |
| + b b +|
| u u |
| f f f f |
| i f f i |
| r a r|
| + l |
| s o |
| p b |
| r |

The visual one sees of this beautiful landscaped lot is that of a
rectangle
shape of its trees. You see a large row of juniper and bluespruce and
fir going west to east and just south of them is a row of amur maples
that
becomes buffaloberry (russian olive with its silver leaves) and south of

them is empty for me to fill in and then south is another row of
buffaloberry and south of them is blue spruce and concolor fir.

The beauty is that all the trees are nearly the same height but the fir
and bluespruce are the tallest. And then in springtime I have the
silvery
leaves of the buffalo berry slashed against that blue and green of the
firs and blue spruce. Looks like an artist went in there and painted.
In the Autumn I am rewarded by the red of the amur maples with the
silvery buffaloberry and then the borders of the bluespruce with
fir. I am thinking of filling in the central interior with more
buffaloberry
and then some lilac. I have some lilac already, but I need a row.

My father was a Landscape Architect. I wonder if there is anyone
who has a Landscape Architect design that is similar to mine above.
I doubt it. The idea is rows for beauty and the Golden Mean Rectangle
and the contrast of blue of fir and bluespruce to that of silver from
buffaloberry and the red of amur maples. The beauty of it captivates
me more than a VerMeer painting.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 31-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

res08 wrote:

It sounds most intriguing. How about a photo?

Sorry to say I no longer do photos for the Internet.

A description in words should suffice.

I have a lot, a plot of land that is a nice rectangle of approx an acre.
And its east-west sides are longer than its north-side sides. Its sides
serves as a frame for a picture. Most pictures or paintings have
frames and what frames this land are bluespruce and concolor fir.

So you have a rectangular acre of land with bluespruce and fir
as running up and down the east-west side. Some juniper and if
I had my choice I would not have any juniper because I think they
are ugly when old. And I hate apple-cedar rust. But the endearing
feature of juniper here is that it is the only evergreen that will
volunteer starts. I have never seen any other evergreen volunteer
starts in these Prairie plains. Juniper is the maximum survivor of
evergreen on these harsh prairie plains.

So, I have the east-west side of this plot with evergreens, tall ones
at that. They serve as a frame. On the north-south side are mostly
hardwood weed trees such as mulberry and I will have to chainsaw
them out over time.

So, in the middle of these huge rows of bluespruce and concolor fir
are amur maples and buffaloberry (Russian olive sort of tree with its
silver leaves).

So, if standing and looking into the center of this rectangle that is framed
with bluespruce and concolor fir (some juniper) one sees a frame of
blue and green and the silver leaves of buffaloberry. A beautiful sight
and especially when the lilac that is intermittent was in bloom.

I believe landscaping must be done in rows and that single specimen trees
solo are not as pretty as rows. And I believe that the best landscaping can
not have
disproportionate sized trees. That they all have to be of about equal size.
Cannot
have elm with concolor fir or bluespruce.

In the Autumn I should be rewarded with the amur maple reds alongside
the bluespruce and fir.

So it is the combination of rows of beauty and rows to make beauty and then
the same-size idea and last of all to have color contrasts of blue green of
evergreens with silver of buffaloberry with red of amur maples and of course
the color of lilacs and the smell of evergreens and lilac in the Spring.

Landscape Architecture should be a enlargement of a master painting with its
frame border and then its colors in the painting itself. Actually, I believe
my
plot is prettier than a VerMeer painting because everytime I look at it,
there is
something different and changing to see. And just the work I have to do such
as
cutting out the weed trees.