Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default a frame and a theme Landscape Architecture; evergreens to

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

And I suspect that locusts emit something themselves that wards off
plants and trees from growing nearby. One thing I have noticed is that
my best pear tree was living nearby to a mature locust tree which indicates
that the locust must have supplied the pear with some nitrogen fertilizer.

I keep cutting the limbs of a locust except for high limbs and the locust
emits some fluid. So the locust does emit fluids and whether it has a fluid
similar to the juglone fluid of blackwalnut is something to be researched.
Whether locusts emit a herbicide-like fluid needs be researched.

Has anyone compared the nitrogen fixing of locust with other legumes
in respect to amount of fertilizer they can contribute to the soil?

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
(most snipped)

The structure of that design is to have a frame and then have an interior
of a theme which in this case is apricots with some pinnacle juniper
rising in their midsts.

Apricots are almost as pretty as amur maples in Autumn but the thing about
apricots is that they give that red foliage color throughout the spring
and summer months and amur maples are lucky to display red color for
more than 2 weeks before some strong winds blow the leaves away.

I first became acquanted with apricot tree in my 20s when I returned from
Australia to find my father having purchased a new home which had an
apricot tree in the backyard. It was a large and mature tree and I do not
remember it as pretty nor as ugly. Some claim that mature apricots become
gnarled and
ugly. Which certainly is not the case for young apricots. Perhaps my variety
of coldhardy apricots is nongnarly.

I do find that apricots have some trouble with the wind and that branches keep

breaking off.

Also, I have just about given up on sandcherry Prunus tomatosa if memory
serves me correctly. I have 3 rows of them and although they bloom and bear
fruit they seldom have enough fruit to be happy about. And they are so
spasmodic in health. They seem to do well one year and then many die the
next. So as the sandcherry dies I am not going to replant that area with
something different.

I have found that currants and gooseberries are vigorous where those
sandcherries are not. And that I get a huge crop of currants each year.
Trouble
with currants is that they are a pain to mow around.