Old 18-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Vcoerulea

Default Cereus question

"Beverly Erlebacher" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Vcoerulea wrote:

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
igy.com...

Quite correct. However, that's not the point here. The above epiphytes

have
general, common requirements as do the terrestrials. If gwayner just

wants
help in growing the plant to blooming, that's all he needs to know. You

can
call the plant an SOB for all the plant cares about names. There's no

reason
on earth a person can't grow a plant without knowing its "real" name. The
general rules I listed earlier will help him grow just about any of the
species fitting the description of night blooming cereus.

Just ignore "Cereoid". Most of us do. About 95% of his posts are
efforts to 'prove' how superior he is by insulting other people in
childish ways, like making fun of their names, while he conceals his
own.

Thanks for the interesting and knowledgable information about growing
this group of epiphytic cacti. One thing you've left out is
information on your climate, and where you grow the plants - house,
greenhouse, or outdoors.

I've grown Epiphyllum oxypetalum a couple of times from cuttings, but
it's always gotten too big before it bloomed, so I've had to give it
away. I had an Epiphyllum 'Ackermanni' for some years which bloomed
spectacularly indoors in April-May every year if I put it outdoors for
a few months in the summer. I finally had to give that one away too,
because it was taking too much of my limited window space. I'm in
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

At any rate I wonder if one reason the original poster is having
trouble getting his plant to bloom is for lack of sufficient intense
light. Even if it's been in the same window all this time, 20 years is
enough for trees to grow big enough to obstruct light, etc. He might
consider putting it outdoors in warm weather, very gradually exposing
it to sunlight to prevent burning, and if he's in a very sunny climate,
keeping it in partial shade all the time it's out. I put my epiphytes
where they get sun from about 2pm on, and it's often cloudy or hazy
here in summer.

Thanks for the advice on Cereoid. I pretty much came to the same conclusion
for anyone who can have a temper tantrum online when they don't get their
own way. I just felt horribly guilty if I didn't offer some advice to the
original poster, if indeed it was a sincere question, when I might be of
help. I also can't see anyone wanting to post to this board wanting
practical info if all they're going to get is ridicule from some pompas ass
(forgive the name calling).
My climate is considerably different from yours. I live in South Carolina
where the sun is strong even in winter. I grow mostly in a greenhouse with
some summering outdoors. Most stay in with cooling from evaporative cooling
pads and constant fan circulation. The covering is double-wall polycarbonate
which is almost as "clear as glass". We use 50% shade cloth over much of the
GH year-round, and add more over various parts as the season progresses.
As far as my personal collection goes, I am meticulous in documenting names,
crosses, awards, etc and is probably bigger than Cereoid ever grew in his
lifetime. Sounds like he only quotes book knowledge and has no practical
experience himself. There are a few plants salvaged from various places that
my wife or I really enjoy even though they have "no name". I know what they
are but may be missing a varietal name. I feel sorry for Cereoid that he
can't enjoy what's really important in life.
Stop "and smell the roses".
Gary

Old 19-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Cereoid+10

What does sniffing "cabbages on a stick" have to do with succulent plants?
Man-mad flowers do not help anyone to understand the real world.

It is predictable that the "idiot stepchildren" would be offended by being
called so and completely miss the point.

You should know your limitations and accept that "There is far more in
heaven and earth than is even dreamt of in your philosophy".

BTW, this is a botany newsgroup not one for pedantic "Master Gardeners" who
like talking about themselves. You don't know anything about me Gary and I
find you to be a bore with your generic advice.

Old 19-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Cereoid+10

Hear that kind of clap-trap all the time and it just isn't true. There is
something sad about people who glibly say that they are stupid and are proud
to be that way. Like the man said: "You can't handle the truth"!

Horticulture is supposed to be applied botany but few horticulturists are
willing to admit their limitations and lack of understanding of how and why
things really work. Most mispronounce plant names and are intimidated by
"big words".

I Don't Like Spam wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:58:01 GMT, "P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote:

It is very easy to use words such as "idiot stepchildren". Actually the
relationship between horticulture and botany is one of long standing and

fairly complex one. You don't seem to handle complexity very well, do

you?
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef
You seem to be forgetting that this is a botany newsgroup not a butt

kissing newsgroup, Rinkytink.

In many instances, horticulturists are the idiot stepchildren of

botany.
Most of what they expound is years out-of-date of botanical knowledge and
often incorrect. Their grasp of plant taxonomy and nomenclature is

typically
nil at best. To most of them any name regardless of its validity is good
enough. You should know better.

If you know nothing about the subject your opinion means nothing

At least people in horticultural fields will get their hands dirty and
actually DO something, and try to HELP people, rather than calling
names. If horticultural "knowledge" is years out of date, it is
because the taxonomists and nomenclaturists keep changing their minds
about classifications and names. Scientific names engraved in stone
and never changing? HOGWASH! Scientific knowledge an ultimate truth?
NO WAY! Both horticulture and botany are a process of refining
understanding; neither is perfect, nor are their practitioners.

Old 19-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Cereoid+10

Its only complex if you cant tell the forest from the trees, Rinkytink.

Or maybe in your case, the Forrest from the Gump!!!!

(I know that pun went completely over your head. Too bad, Bubba.)

P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
It is very easy to use words such as "idiot stepchildren". Actually the
relationship between horticulture and botany is one of long standing and a

Old 19-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Vcoerulea

My goodness, god has crossed Cruciferae with Rosaceae! Maybe now we will
truely have a cabbage rose. How do you profess to know all about me and my
philosophy when I can't "know anything about (you)". Horticulture is a
complicated application of botany, chemistry, biology, & geology (as in
medicine being the practical appllication of medical research). Too bad you
never learned the art/science. It's probably just too much for you to
handle. If we get back to your narrow world, what do you think about the
recent reclassification scheme of dendrobium orchids?

. com...

Vcoerulea wrote:

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
[...]

question for Cereus madgardener Gardening 2 01-11-2005 12:17 AM
Question for Cereus Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 04-09-2004 02:40 PM
Cereus-Validus is an offensive troll escapee Gardening 23 15-04-2004 09:02 PM
Cereus question gwayner Plant Science 17 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Not Cereus peruvianus jc Gardening 1 20-02-2003 03:15 AM