Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed?

Apparently no-one in bio.botany knows when clover seed and trefoil seed
mature. The question arose for a field in which the desire for clover to
spread
and the practice of mowing. Is a clover seed packet of its white-tops
mature
when mowed? Is the yellow top of trefoil mature when mowed?

How to maximize the spread of clover and trefoil in a lawn or meadow by
mowing?

I am researching that question now by planting some of those seed tops.
But amazing that no-one in bio.botany has the answer.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Monique Reed

If the flowers are still fresh and bright, the seed from those flowers
is not mature. You want brown, dry fruit on the plants. Why not just
let the infuctescences develop?

M. Reed

Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Archimedes Plutonium schreef
Is a clover seed packet of its white-tops mature when mowed?
Is the yellow top of trefoil mature when mowed?

+ + +
One thing seems quite clear: Once it is mowed it won't mature much further.
Better not to mow prematurely.
PvR

Old 02-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Monique Reed wrote:

If the flowers are still fresh and bright, the seed from those flowers
is not mature. You want brown, dry fruit on the plants. Why not just
let the infuctescences develop?

M. Reed

Yes, I found a good website showing various legume seeds:
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forag...hite_dutch.htm

I have got some research pots going to find out when they are viable seeds.

I am guessing that clover and trefoil spread only via seeds and not by
rhizomes.
This would then beg the question of given a plot of land with a small patch
of
clover or trefoil, then how to mow and maintain the plot in order to get it
entirely
into clover or trefoil. I suppose setting the mowing height and to set the
mower so as to broadcast the seed. Has anyone researched how to mow a
plot of land in order to get it entirely into clover or trefoil?

Old 02-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Archimedes Plutonium NOdtgEMAIL wrote:

Monique Reed wrote:

If the flowers are still fresh and bright, the seed from those flowers
is not mature. You want brown, dry fruit on the plants. Why not just
let the infuctescences develop?

Yes, I found a good website showing various legume seeds:
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forag...hite_dutch.htm

I have got some research pots going to find out when they are viable seeds.

You can take the things apart and look for seeds, too.

I am guessing that clover and trefoil spread only via seeds and not by
rhizomes.

Instead of guessing, why not look at your clover plants and see what they do?
White (Dutch) clover, Trifolium repens, spreads by rhizomes in my lawn. That's
why it's called repens (creeping).

This would then beg the question of given a plot of land with a small patch
of
clover or trefoil, then how to mow and maintain the plot in order to get it
entirely
into clover or trefoil. I suppose setting the mowing height and to set the
mower so as to broadcast the seed. Has anyone researched how to mow a
plot of land in order to get it entirely into clover or trefoil?

You not only have to encourage the clover, you have to discourage everything
else. White clover alone doesn't make a very good sod. Observation will
show you that the clover starts growing relatively late in spring, and before
it does, you have an area that you can't walk on without damaging it.

White clover used to be component of most lawn grass mixtures before the advent
of broad leaf weedkillers, after which it was defined as a weed because the
weedkiller killed it.

I never water or fertilize my lawn and always mow high and leave the clippings
on it. I've got a mixed grass and clover sod that looks good and apart from
a few dandelions I control with a knife, is pretty much weed and pest free
without any chemical interventions.

The easiest way of getting some clover into your lawn is to toss the seed on
in the early spring as the frost is coming out of the ground.

At any rate, this all works for me in southern Ontario.

Unusual trefoil Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 5 31-08-2014 09:46 AM
clover seed, time length for maturity [email protected] Plant Science 0 29-07-2008 05:59 AM
seed pod maturity nigel savage Orchids 3 13-10-2005 10:12 AM
Trefoil in Lawn Andrew Newton United Kingdom 8 06-07-2005 05:20 PM
clover seed maturity; when Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 18-06-2003 11:56 AM