Old 01-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Cowboy

Default A Problem with my Ivies, help please

Hello,

I have some Ivies; mostly clippings from friends that sit on my desk under a
150W incandescent light bulb. I've had them for some time now and they seem
to be thriving well but occasionally a leaf will yellow and I'm wondering if
this is due to over watering or something more sinister like a fungus or
insect.

They are planted is generic potting soil that has a release fertilizer
included. I don't have them on any particular watering schedule and instead
rely on the wilting of the leaves to tell me that it's time that they want a
drink to quench their thirst.

Whenever a leaf turns yellowish I clip it for fear that it's something that
will spread to the rest of the plant.

I know absolutely nothing about caring for them and figure that the strong
will survive. But I'd sure would like to help them live as long as possible
if someone willing with some hints. I have no idea what type of Ivies they
are but I've included pictures of the problem and the plants here if you'd
please take the time to have and look and pass on some advise. I thank you
for reading and your time.

http://cactuscowboy0.tripod.com/Ivy.htm

Cowboy

Old 01-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Iris Cohen

clippings from friends that sit on my desk under a 150W incandescent light
bulb.

With all those people on your desk, how do you get any work done?

occasionally a leaf will yellow and I'm wondering if this is due to over
watering or something more sinister like a fungus or insect.

No leaf lasts forever. If only the oldest leaves turn yellow, it is a normal
process.

I don't have them on any particular watering schedule and instead rely on
the wilting of the leaves to tell me that it's time that they want a drink

Do not wait for the leaves to wilt. English ivy, Hedera helix, likes to be
slightly moist. Water when the soil starts to dry out.
You can't post pictures to a newsgroup.
For further instructions on growing, go to rec.gardens.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)