GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   white flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/35756-white-flower.html)

Alain LETRANGE 07-07-2003 06:08 PM

white flower

Bonjour,

A propos de certaines fleurs, mes flores précisent "rouge, (violet, bleu),
parfois blanche"
Effectivement, j'ai rencontré des Campanules , érythrones, jasiones,
digitales... blanches
Est-ce l'albinisme chez les fleurs ? les graines produites donneront elles
des spécimens blancs ?
Il me semble que ces anomalies apparaissent en fin de période de floraison.
Avez-vous fait la même remarque ?

I try to translate :-))

About some flowers, my books said "red (or purple, or blue), sometimes
white".
Indeed, I have met white Campanula patula, white Erythronium, white Jasione,
white Digitalis "purpurea", etc...
Are they albinos ? Does the seeds will give another white ?
I think they appear at the end of the flowering period ? Did you think so
???

--
Alain

(enlever le x)
Mon village en Haute-Soule (loisirs, fleurs...):
http://perso.club-internet.fr/jarailet
Carnet de voyages : http://perso.club-internet.fr/jarailet/Randobal

Cereoid-UR12yo 07-07-2003 11:55 PM

white flower

White flowers can occur when the gene(s) controlling the production of
floral pigment is defective. The mutation theoretically can occur in any
flowering plant species. The white flowered character is usually recessive
to the typical flower color. A plant with typically colored flowers does not
usually change to white unless perhaps the plant become anemic in some way.

Some species normally produce white flowers.

Sean Houtman 08-07-2003 01:33 AM

white flower

From: "Alain LETRANGE"

[...]

In some plants, they may just be variable, you may find one plant with one
color of flower, and another with another color. Some other plants change the
color as the flower ages, one example of this is Cynoglossum officinalis, which
opens blue, and turns dark red. Plants which sometimes produce white flowers
often breed true, giving white flowers from the seed.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage

whiteMemphis 09-07-2003 10:07 PM

white flower

"Alain LETRANGE" wrote in message
Bonjour,
. About some flowers, my books said "red (or purple, or blue), sometimes
white".
Indeed, I have met white Campanula patula, white Erythronium, white

Jasione,
white Digitalis "purpurea", etc...
Are they albinos ? Does the seeds will give another white ?
I think they appear at the end of the flowering period ? Did you think so
???

and many white flowers are deliciously scented maybe to attract night
pollinators who are guided by smell rather than eyesight

Iris Cohen 10-07-2003 02:36 AM

white flower

and many white flowers are deliciously scented maybe to attract night
pollinators who are guided by smell rather than eyesight BRBR

Perfectly true, but that is not what he meant. The night-blooming white
species, like Angraecums, are always white. He was asking about species which
normally have colored flowers, but sometimes turn up or are bred with white
flowers. These will not smell any different than their normal colored siblings.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

P van Rijckevorsel 10-07-2003 08:20 AM

white flower

Iris Cohen schreef
Perfectly true, but that is not what he meant. The night-blooming white

species, like Angraecums, are always white.

+ + +
Quite
+ + +

He was asking about species which normally have colored flowers, but

sometimes turn up or are bred with white flowers.

These will not smell any different than their normal colored siblings.

+ + +
Actually this is a bridge too far.

Suppose that indeed there are species that normally have colored flowers but
that late in the season have white flowers. If this should be due to a
hormonal inbalance or a disabling of enzymes then there might conceivably
also be a different smell. If these white flowers are the result of a
disabling of something these will be more likely to smell less rather than
more strongly.

Of course this is pure speculation, with not even the existence of
"late-blooming white flowers" established.
Pvr