GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   old growth maple-basswood forest? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/40897-old-growth-maple-basswood-forest.html)

Bill Johnston 20-08-2003 04:32 AM

old growth maple-basswood forest?

I live in southern Minnesota. I frequent a short local nature trail
called Rasmussen Woods. I was looking at a part of it and realised it
fit a description I'd read for what old growth in my region should
look like (its practically nonexistent these days). It's mainly
maples and basswood, sprinkled with red oaks and bur oaks. And the
trees are tall and stout- many 2-3 ft. wide, including oaks, and a 4
ft. wide rotten log. For example one bur oak I crudely measured at 3.3
ft wide, very tall and straight. There is little underbrush or bushes
(in some places, perhaps due to rampant deer overpopulation, there's
nothing at all).On the rest of the trail, the forest is shorter,
weedier, and has different species.

Any thoughts?