GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   An experiment on the sociability of plants. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/42912-experiment-sociability-plants.html)

Frank Martin 13-09-2003 03:02 AM

An experiment on the sociability of plants.

I live in town and there is a very large plane tree just outside the front
door. For some time I have tried to grow an agapanthus around the base of
this tree purely for ornamental purposes. Alas, all previous attempts have
failed because these newly-planted African lilies succumb to the attentions
of dogs and vandals. At this point I might just mention 'en passant' about
the continued inexorable rudeness and endless babbling of the incumbent
troll-creature trying to pass his potty-training exam. Anyway, this time I
thought I would try planting a whole clutch of agapanthi together and this
involved the hiring of a large electric jack hammer. It was tough going
because the tree roots kept getting in the way and the jack hammer was
ineffective in cutting through these. Nevertheless I managed a fairly large
hole after a lot of work into which I lowered a very large clump of
well-established plants, pausing only to trim the copious root system with a
breadknife. It all looks magnificent, of course, and I will keep members
informed. There are about eight large plants in this clump and I hope this
will be a good test. I feel I should warn the reader about the rapacious
habits of the machinery-hiring gypsies who require not only a large fee, but
a driver's licence and the number plate of one's automobile.

Frank Martin 15-09-2003 07:13 AM

An experiment on the sociability of plants.

Is your furry butt still here?
Waft off grass boy.
At least I get my hands dirty down there amonst the plants!

m...