Old 14-09-2003, 04:12 PM
five of four

Default trouble with catnip

I like to grow catnip for my cats. I bought 3 seedlings at a local nursery and transplanted them into a clean 3 gallon plastic
container, containing Premier pro-mix potting and seeding soil, and put it outside in the sun..
After about 2 months it was completely overgrown and began to develop a problem. The bottom leaves began to turn a blotchy white
color. I thought it might be a fungus because it was so overgrown and no air could get to the bottom leaves. I thinned out the lower
half of the plants, but the problem continued, and has all but destroyed all of the leaves.
In the meantime I planted some seeds that I had harvested from the plant and put them in a smaller pot. When they began growing I
made sure that they stayed thinned out and had no leaves touching the soil. The same thing is happening to these plants, too.
Any idea what the problem might be?

Old 15-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
five of four wrote:
[...]

It may be powdery mildew. Unlike many fungal diseases, it doesn't
require much moisture or humidity to spread, and it can really take
over by late summer. I wouldn't recommend fungicides for something
your cats are going to eat. Since you have only a few pots to protect,
you might consider examining them carefully early in the summer and
trying to remove all leaves that show infection, since it will spread
rapidly from leaf to leaf in a plant. The spores are wind-borne so
sanitation may not be very effective.

IIRC, a few years ago some university lab (at Cornell?) came up with a
non-toxic preventive spray containing baking soda, vegetable oil and a
small amount of dish detergent in water. It isn't effective once the
leaves are infected, but it prevented most spores from germinating when
applied frequently. This might be practical for potted plants, but get
the correct recipe since it could damage leaves if it's too strong.
Old 16-09-2003, 06:32 PM
five of four

Thanks Beverly,
I'll check it out.

Old 17-09-2003, 03:53 AM
d buebly

On 15 Sep 2003 14:38:04 GMT, (Beverly Erlebacher)
wrote:

In article ,
five of four wrote:
[...]

I have had luck with Eucalyptus Dr. Bronners diluted to about 10 to 1

Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
Catnip John DeBoo Edible Gardening 9 09-08-2003 08:02 PM
Catnip Alternative Janice United Kingdom 7 23-06-2003 08:20 AM
growing catnip indoors Jessica Gardening 4 16-06-2003 09:32 PM
Introducing "CATNIP AND KEROSENE GRASS" Evar Grieg Gardening 0 04-03-2003 01:27 AM