Old 13-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Evert Meulie

Default Who can identify these yellow flowers?

Hi everyone!

I've recently come in the possession of a painting that contains a vase
with yellow flowers, and I'd like to know what kind of flowers they are.

If you have a second, please check out
http://www.meulie.net/Fotootjes/2_paintings/painting1 and tell me your
(educated) guess.

Regards,
Evert Meulie

Old 13-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Tina Gibson

kinda hard to tell from the painting (which is very lovely!!) but looks
almost like tansy.

news:6f71f06f6f242deb45d38d44986bae3e.107262@mygat e.mailgate.org...

Old 13-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Evert Meulie esq.

Do you mean these: http://graysharbor.wsu.edu/Weeds/tansy.gif ?

I can see some similarity, I don't think they're the same... The tansy
seems to have its buds closer together than the kind on the
painting...

Thank you for your swift reply though!

Any more/other suggestions?

Regards,
Evert Meulie

Old 13-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Evert
Meulie esq. writes
Do you mean these: http://graysharbor.wsu.edu/Weeds/tansy.gif ?

I can see some similarity, I don't think they're the same... The tansy
seems to have its buds closer together than the kind on the
painting...

Assuming that the painting is accurate, it's not tansy. For a start the
foliage is different.

The gross form of the inflorescence looks similar to that of Buddleia x
weyeriana, but the jizz is wrong for this.

The gross form of the inflorescence again looks similar to that of
Acacia, but the foliage is wrong for this.

I interpret the plant to have capitate clusters of flowers borne at
intervals along leafless flowering branches. I am assuming that the
foliage belongs to the same plant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-10-2003, 10:04 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
The gross form of the inflorescence again looks similar to that of
Acacia, but the foliage is wrong for this.

I interpret the plant to have capitate clusters of flowers borne at
intervals along leafless flowering branches. I am assuming that the
foliage belongs to the same plant.

+ + +
My first impression was Acacia, some species of which are cultivated in
fairly temperate regions:

http://www.beyond.fr/flora/mimosa.html

However this would require the foliage to be from a separate plant or the
painter to be unfaithful, neither of which can be precluded
PvR

Old 14-10-2003, 12:06 AM
David Hill

Mimosa

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-10-2003, 12:36 AM
David Hill

Try http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/SeedOrd...gb/dept_7.html

Acacia Dealbata (Mimosa)

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Elizabeth

My first impression, too, was Acacia, Then I thought maybe Podocarpus. Now I
can't decide :-)

elizabeth

Old 14-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Evert Meulie esq.

The painting is signed with 'Latour'. This makes me believe it's
either an original or a copy of a work by Henri Fantin-Latour (
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/fantin-latour/ ), a French
painter.

Greetings,
Evert Meulie

Old 14-10-2003, 11:02 AM
marcel.roche2

Certainly acacia.
Certainly not dealbata, may be retinoides, because leaves
Marcel Roche

Old 19-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Evert Meulie esq.

You might be right here... It does look quite a bit like the various
images of wattle I have found on the Internet. If only I'd be able to
find the painting in some catalogue, then the 'mystery' would be
solved quickly I'd think...

Regards,
Evert

Wattle

Old 19-10-2003, 09:43 PM
David Hill

I did send before saying Mimosa,
You say the painting is French........well for many years the French sent
"Mimosa" to the UK as a cut flower from around February.
The plant in question is Acacia dealbata "Silver Wattle" see
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_...lbata_069.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries