GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   which passion flower is this...? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/45739-passion-flower.html)

gibikote 19-10-2003 07:22 PM

which passion flower is this...?

hi.
please see the flower in this link.
the vine grows wild here (in India).

can we give it a specific name, and is it poisonous?

Thanks.
Sridhar

Peter Jason 21-10-2003 07:43 AM

which passion flower is this...?

Looks like passionfruit.
We had acres of this stuff growing on our back fence.
Does it have large purple fruit?

om...

mel turner 21-10-2003 10:22 AM

which passion flower is this...?

The original post hasn't appeared here yet, so I'm piggybacking.

In article , [Peter Jason] wrote...

Looks like passionfruit.

It's a member of the same genus [Passiflora], but isn't one of
the passionfruits usually eaten by humans.

We had acres of this stuff growing on our back fence.
Does it have large purple fruit?

Not this one.

"gibikote" wrote in message
. com...
hi.
please see the flower in this link.
the vine grows wild here (in India).

can we give it a specific name, and is it poisonous?

Yes, it's clearly _Passiflora foetida_ . The bracts dissected
into narrow sticky-glandular segments are characteristic of this
species.

Besides the widespread & weedy P. foetida, its group [subgenus
Dysosmia] also contains a few other closely related forms that
have been named as separate species, but I doubt these others are
introduced into India [they're tropical American, as was P. foetida
originally].

http://www.hear.org/pier/passiflora_foetida.htm
http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/ipgri/frui...%20foetida.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=PAFO2
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/feety.htm
http://www.passiflora.it/foetida.htm
http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/i...thumbnails.htm
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/wild_water_lemon.htm
http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/news/c...a/text/218.htm
http://www.barbadine.com/pages/passi...etida_lien.htm
http://www.tropilab.com/passi-foetida.html
http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/listin...orafoetida.htm
http://irrecenvhort.ifas.ufl.edu/Inv...ra-foetida.pdf
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxpas.htm
http://www.formosa-verlag.de/english/site/photos.htm

One of the above cited:

Anil, K. N. and N. Ravi (1992). A taxonomic note on Passiflora foetida
Linn. in India. Journal of Economic and Taxonomic Botany 16(1): 69-72.
{a} Dep. Botany, S. N. Coll., Kollam-691 001, India

The fruits are evidently edible.

http://medind.nic.in/imvw/imvw14993.html

is interesting; it suggests the glandular bracts of P. foetida
may be similar in behavior and function to the insect-catching
and digesting glands of "carnivorous plants".

cheers

P van Rijckevorsel 21-10-2003 08:03 PM

which passion flower is this...?

mel turner schreef
The original post hasn't appeared here yet, so I'm piggybacking.

+ + +
Actually the reverse for me. Saw the original post fine (just don't know
much about Passiflora spp), but missed Peter Jason's post (he is in a
crossposting or troll-responding killfile, as are very many touchy people)
PvR

Peter Jason 22-10-2003 11:03 PM

which passion flower is this...?

Killfiled! Me! How come I am killfiled while that arch-troll Cereoid roams
wild and free.

mel turner schreef

gibikote 23-10-2003 03:04 AM

which passion flower is this...?