Old 24-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Stan Coffey

Default Hardy Houseplants?

I'm looking for some low-maintenance houseplants that do well in low light
and low humidity, since I'm putting them in a north-facing bedroom in the
winter. Edible herbs or spices would be especially nice. Can anyone suggest
some good species? Thanks in advance.

Old 25-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Iris Cohen

I'm looking for some low-maintenance houseplants that do well in low light
and low humidity,
Edible herbs or spices would be especially nice

First of all, hardy is not the word you want. In plants, hardy means
cold-resistant, which is not relevant here.
For your situation, consider philodendron, aglaonema (Chinese evergreen),
pothos (Epipremnum), and aspidistra. Unfortunately, most herbs are sunlovers
and would not do well. Even so, your plants might benefit from being outdoors
in the summer.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Laurel and Hardy houseplants?

Don't forget Sansevieria.

You can forget about growing any herbs.

Old 26-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Peter Jason

I have had a lot of luck with the Wedding Palm Lytocaryum Weddellianum. Very
attractive deep green fronds that go well with Victorian decor.
Bit expensive, though.