Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default More berries

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
.... dyslexic ... [un]able to stay within the lines ...

+ + +
Sorry to hear that, but it is no reason to act as badly as you do.
Plenty of dyslexic people manage to lead useful lives.
You should go with your strengths not your weaknesses.
PvR

Old 12-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You tell 'em Rainman.

Dyslexia is the least of your problems.

You say you're an excellent driver too?

Old 12-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Iris Cohen

On the other hand an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
What kind of fruits were apples again?
Oh yes, they were apples-in-French. BRBR

Apples, pears, and quinces are pomes, at least in English. The definition is a
fleshy fruit with the seeds arranged inside a stiff compartment with a
technical name I don't remember. The French word for apple is pomme, with two
m's.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 12-11-2003, 03:43 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

What kind of fruits were apples again?
Oh yes, they were apples-in-French. BRBR

Iris Cohen schreef
Apples, pears, and quinces are pomes, at least in English. The definition

is a fleshy fruit with the seeds arranged inside a stiff compartment with a
technical name I don't remember. The French word for apple is pomme, with
two m's.

+ + +
My current (not "currant") dictionary (by Microsoft no less!) says:
pome /pom/n : a fleshy fruit that has a central core typically containing
five seeds, e.g. an apple or a pear [14C. Via Old French Latin pomum
"apple."]

Who is nitpicking now?
PvR

Old 12-11-2003, 04:03 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
You say you're an excellent driver too?

+ + +
Oh my, you had not told us about your problems with cars.
I had assumed you were a danger only to people on the internet, not out on
the street. Are you old enough to drive (legally, we know that you aren't
mentally?)
PvR

Old 12-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Proof again that your problems are much more than just understanding the
English language, Rainman.

It all went sailing right over your empty head.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:23 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
It all went sailing right over your empty head.

+ + +
Your head feels empty and you think a little boat is sailing inside?
That explains things!
PvR

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

mel turner schreef
Still, it's a pretty impressive, ambitious review of the diversity

of fruit types, from someone who seems to be largely a lichenologist.

I note that its definitions of both "berry" and "drupe" are

essentially what we've been saying all along [that's no surprise,
of course]:

+ + +
Thank you. With the book out of reach at the moment (library is closed for a
few weeks) I did not have opportunity to recheck this. The book is
interesting and at least thought-provoking, which was why I referred to it
in the first place.

I should not be surprised to find Cereoid taking a position at variance with
the book he himself cites to support it, but apparently I am an incurable
optimist who always thinks better of people than they deserve ;-)
PvR

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-UR12- schreef
It all went sailing right over your empty head.

+ + +
Your head feels empty and you think a little boat is sailing inside?
That explains things!
PvR

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? Earth Mother United Kingdom 4 09-04-2009 10:40 AM
[IBC] Cotoneaster - remove old berries? Jim Lewis Bonsai 11 06-09-2005 12:55 PM
More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 45 18-04-2004 06:00 AM
holly berries hayley United Kingdom 9 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Cotoneaster - remove old berries? MainAt Bonsai 0 20-03-2003 05:44 AM