Old 13-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Phred

Default Measurement units used in USA

In article , Ayrshire wrote:
"fb" wrote in :

For the "translation" of an agricultural program from
Dutch/English to American I am looking for units used by American
farmers.

- How do they measure length / width of a field (in yards or
feet)? - How do they measure the area (size)? In acre with
decimals? - How do they measure Yield?
- How do they measure applied products (in fluid/dry ounces per
acre)?

Are there any other US units that are different from the metric
(SI) units?

Please reply to

Area of a farm or fields is expressed in acres such as my place: 9.4
acres with 7.4 tillable (arable) acres. Some areas aof the US, the
Midwest & Great Plains, we might talk about a section of land, which
is 640 acres, or multiple sections. Depending on the product applied,
the measurement may be gallons, pounds, tons, or ounces per acre.
Manure usually is gallon or tons per acre, fertilizer will usually be
pounds and herbicides or insecticides in ounces or pounds per acre.

But be aware that the Yankee gallon is smaller than the Pommie one.

See
http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/appxc/appxc.htm
"General Tables of Units of Measurement"

In particular this section:
quoting
The present British gallon and bushel--known as the "Imperial gallon"
and "Imperial bushel" are, respectively, about 20 percent and 3
percent larger than the United States gallon and bushel. The Imperial
gallon is defined as the volume of 10 avoirdupois pounds of water
under specified conditions, and the Imperial bushel is defined as 8
Imperial gallons. Also, the subdivision of the Imperial gallon as
presented in the table of British apothecaries fluid measure differs
in two important respects from the corresponding United States
subdivision, in that the Imperial gallon is divided into 160 fluid
ounces (whereas the United States gallon is divided into 128 fluid
ounces), and a "fluid scruple" is included.
/quoting

Note: nist http://nist.gov/ is the US National Institute of
Standards and Technology and has a lot of stuff that might be useful
to frans. I suggest using Google (Advanced Search) to search the site
by using the restriction Domain/Only/nist.gov in the search criteria.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 13-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Ayrshire

(Phred) wrote in
:

In article , Ayrshire
wrote:
"fb" wrote in :

[...]

Phred reminded me of yields. These are expressed as bushels per acre
for grains, oilseeds and maize. Forages are expressed as tons of dry
matter or tons of material per acre. For instance corn ,maize, silage
is uually expressed as 25 tons per acres and then one would ask what
the moisture % was to calculate dry matter yield. I believe cotton,
tobacco & peanut yields are expressed as pounds per acre, but you
should verify that.