Old 29-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Riley

Default Looking for Information About a "Hedgehog" Gourd

I'm looking for information about a spider-deterring gourd, which may be
known as a hedgehog. It is, apparently, beige/yellow in appearance and has
ridges on the outside that make it look very similar to a brain. I was told
that by placing one of these anywhere in a room, it would keep spiders away.
The gourd doesn't rot or anything and can just be left in the room until, I
assume, it dries out and stops working.

I did an extensive search of the Internet and couldn't find anything about
it. There was some information about a hedgehog gourd (Cucumis dipsaceus),
but the pictures didn't match the description that I had heard. I was
wondering if anyone had heard of such a thing and knew the scientific name
or had any idea how it works.

Thanks,

Riley
(this is a real address which I do check)

Old 02-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Sebastian

Hi!
I can't imagine what it looks like... do you have a photo? I've got an idea...
SMS
Old 02-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Sebastian

Old 03-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Riley

No, I don't have any photos or anything, just going off of second-hand
information.

Riley

om...

Old 03-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Monique Reed

Google brought up a couple of options in about 3 seconds.

1. Cucumis metuliferous, also known as horned or kiwano melon. See:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph36.htm I have the silly things
volunteering in my compost heap.

2. Cucumis dipsaceus (also known as teasel gourd)

M. Reed

Old 04-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Riley

My search came up with that site too. The pictures for those don't match
the description I have though.

Riley

"Sebastian" wrote in message
om...
Hi!
I can't imagine what it looks like... do you have a photo? I've got an

idea...
SMS

News==----
Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Old 04-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Riley wrote:

I'm looking for information about a spider-deterring gourd, which may be
known as a hedgehog. It is, apparently, beige/yellow in appearance and has
ridges on the outside that make it look very similar to a brain. I was told
that by placing one of these anywhere in a room, it would keep spiders away.

Possibly Osage Orange, Maclura pomifera, sometimes called 'hedge apple'.
The fruit is brain-like, beige/yellow/green and often attributed with
the ability to repel spiders and insects (although such claims are
fairly unsupported). They're not gourds, though.

Micah Mabelitini

Old 04-12-2003, 02:06 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Riley wrote:
I'm looking for information about a spider-deterring gourd, which may be

known as a hedgehog. It is, apparently, beige/yellow in appearance and has
ridges on the outside that make it look very similar to a brain. I was told
that by placing one of these anywhere in a room, it would keep spiders away.

Micah J. Mabelitini schreef
Possibly Osage Orange, Maclura pomifera, sometimes called 'hedge apple'.

The fruit is brain-like, beige/yellow/green and often attributed with
the ability to repel spiders and insects (although such claims are
fairly unsupported). They're not gourds, though.

Micah Mabelitini

+ + +
That must be it! Tales alter with the telling.
PvR

Old 04-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Sebastian

Hi,
if your are looking for a spider-deterrend something which is about
ten inches long, white or creamy-coloured, working without electrical
power supply and without any known poisson then I've got something for
you: try an ostrichs egg! The ridge you described could be an
application or decoration or anywhat; ok, I couldn't declare stings or
anything, that would make it look like a hedgehog.
But I think this works; a guide in Istanbul told me that that's why
many lamps in mosques are decorated with eggshells.
So try it and tell me whether it works.
Bye
Sebb
Old 05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Gaiawar

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message .. .
Riley wrote:
I'm looking for information about a spider-deterring gourd, which may be

known as a hedgehog. It is, apparently, beige/yellow in appearance and has
ridges on the outside that make it look very similar to a brain. I was told
that by placing one of these anywhere in a room, it would keep spiders away.

Micah J. Mabelitini schreef
Possibly Osage Orange, Maclura pomifera, sometimes called 'hedge apple'.

The fruit is brain-like, beige/yellow/green and often attributed with
the ability to repel spiders and insects (although such claims are
fairly unsupported). They're not gourds, though.

Micah Mabelitini

+ + +
That must be it! Tales alter with the telling.
PvR

It has to be the Bois D'arc.

-Gaiawar
Old 05-12-2003, 05:33 AM
Riley

Thanks for the information. Obviously, details got lost or exaggerated
along the way. I wasn't so much interested in practical use as I was
intrigued by how such a thing might work. Apparently it doesn't though, and
even if it did, it would work by killing the spiders, not driving them away,
as I had originally thought.

Thanks,

Riley