GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identify this Flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/48546-identify-flower.html)

Uziyahu / Clif 14-12-2003 12:34 AM

Identify this Flower?

http://www.nataliemerchant.com/lette...fire_cover.jpg

Stewart Robert Hinsley 14-12-2003 02:06 AM

Identify this Flower?

In article , Uziyahu /
Clif writes
http://www.nataliemerchant.com/lette...fire_cover.jpg

One of the annual Papavers. I'm pretty sure it's not Papaver dubium. I'd
say either Papaver commutatum or Papaver rhoeas, but there's other
species in this group.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Iris Cohen 14-12-2003 03:03 AM

Identify this Flower?

It's a poppy. I don't know which species. The photograph is from World War I.
The poppies were made famous by a poem, "In Flanders' Fields," which begins:
In Flanders' fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row.

It is about a military cemetery, something to do with honoring the war dead by
making the world a better place, otherwise:
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders' fields.

It is the equivalent of Israel's kalaniot (poppy anemones).
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

P van Rijckevorsel 14-12-2003 09:02 AM

Identify this Flower?

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
One of the annual Papavers. I'm pretty sure it's not Papaver dubium. I'd
say either Papaver commutatum or Papaver rhoeas, but there's other
species in this group.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
The quality of the picture does not allow observation of fine detail.

A quick browse on the internet shows a very popular cultivar to be
Papaver commutatum 'Ladybird' with distinct black markings, eg
http://www.tonyhowell.co.uk/Papaverc...dybird2099.htm
Would be a fine satirical comment, assuming this is not an old cultivar.
PvR