Old 16-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Dilip Barman

Default Scientific name for Watermelon Radish?

aka: Rose Heart Radish, Beauty Heart Radish, Red Daikon

Does anybody know the scientific name for this lovely radish? Would
it be something like "Raphanus sativus 'Watermelon'"? Thanks!

--Dilip
Old 16-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Dilip Barman wrote:

aka: Rose Heart Radish, Beauty Heart Radish, Red Daikon

Does anybody know the scientific name for this lovely radish? Would
it be something like "Raphanus sativus 'Watermelon'"? Thanks!

The taxon is Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus (as opposed to
conventional radishes which are Raphanus sativus var. sativus). There's
a bunch of different cultivars, 'Watermelon' or 'Watermelon Radish'
being one of them. 'Red Daikon' is a Japanese cultivar.

Micah Mabelitini

Old 16-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Iris Cohen

Why can't people, especially university students, learn to do simple Google
searches? The proper name for "Watermelon radish" is Shinrimei. If you want to
give it a botanical name, it is Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei.'
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 16-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Dilip Barman

(Dilip Barman) wrote in message om...
aka: Rose Heart Radish, Beauty Heart Radish, Red Daikon

Does anybody know the scientific name for this lovely radish? Would
it be something like "Raphanus sativus 'Watermelon'"? Thanks!

--Dilip

Thanks to both Iris (Iris, I'm sorry - I did do a number of google and
other searches but didn't find the answer - the closest I got was a
reference to Raphanus sativus 'Beauty Heart'; please visit
www.dilip.info -- I teach an advanced search class and my home page
www.dilip.info has my course notes FYI) for

Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'

and to Micah for

Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus 'Watermelon'

How can I find out definitively whether it is a Chinese radish (var.
longipinnatus) or not? In general, is there a source for looking up
scientific names online? I like to annotate my still life photography
with scientific names - you can see some of my work at

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=253625

(and click on my name to see my other folders of pictures). Thanks to
all, and best wishes for a happy and peaceful 2004!

Dilip
Old 16-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Dilip Barman wrote:

Thanks to both Iris (Iris, I'm sorry - I did do a number of google and
other searches but didn't find the answer - the closest I got was a
reference to Raphanus sativus 'Beauty Heart'; please visit
www.dilip.info -- I teach an advanced search class and my home page
www.dilip.info has my course notes FYI) for

Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'

and to Micah for

Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus 'Watermelon'

How can I find out definitively whether it is a Chinese radish (var.
longipinnatus) or not? In general, is there a source for looking up
scientific names online? I like to annotate my still life photography
with scientific names - you can see some of my work at

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=253625

(and click on my name to see my other folders of pictures). Thanks to
all, and best wishes for a happy and peaceful 2004!

'Shinrimei' does appear to be the original Chinese name of the cultivar,
so I'd go with it. I did a bit of research and it looks like Raphanus
sativus var. longipinnatus is now obsolete, in favor of R. sativus var.
niger (according to the ARS-GRIN database at least).

Micah Mabelitini

Old 17-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Dilip Barman

"Micah J. Mabelitini" wrote in message ...

'Shinrimei' does appear to be the original Chinese name of the cultivar,
so I'd go with it. I did a bit of research and it looks like Raphanus
sativus var. longipinnatus is now obsolete, in favor of R. sativus var.
niger (according to the ARS-GRIN database at least).

Micah Mabelitini

Thanks, Micah. "Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'" it is then - but I wish
I could find it more easily. I did find this name mentioned at
http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/comcach.htm. Thanks!

--Dilip

P.S. By the ARS-GRIN database, do you mean
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxgenform.pl ? I can't
search on specific common name varieties there, but can find general
information there.
Old 17-12-2003, 01:04 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Dilip Barman schreef
P.S. By the ARS-GRIN database, do you mean
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxgenform.pl ?

+ + +
Well, I did not put it in the Mini FAQ for nothing ...
PvR