Old 17-12-2003, 04:04 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Old Trees and old news

I have been wondering how it goes with the efforts to grow Argania
spinosa in Israel

Iris Cohen schreef
A HREF="http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-037.html"
New Crops as a Possible Solution for the Troubled Israeli Export Market/A
This article mentions that they are still in the testing stage:
A HREF="http://desertagriculture.org/germp1.html"Germplasm 1 and 2 in

the Desert Agriculture Project/A

+ + +
Que. However, the one site is of 1996 and although the other is of 2000, it
uses 1992 and 1993 references. Actually my latest information is of 1998.
+ + +

Actually the latest newsworthy product from Israel is a gun that shoots

around corners.

+ + +
What is new about it?
Guns shooting round corners have been around at least fifty years.
+ + +

Want to "hear a good one?"
Remember the guy with a university address who wanted the scientific name

for watermelon radish? I did a two-minute search and wrote:
Why can't people, especially university students, learn to do simple

Google searches? The proper name for "Watermelon radish" is Shinrimei. If
you want to give it a botanical name, it is Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei.'

+ + +
Actually you were wrong about this:
'Shinrimei' is the cultivar epithet
A botanical name would be Raphanus sativus.
The cultivar name would be Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'
+ + +

He wrote back:
I did do quite a few searches and never found

a definitive answer. (In fact, I work for IBM and teach a community
service course on advanced Internet searching.)

+ + +
Yes, knowing something about the topic you are researching can make a big
difference ;-)
PvR