Old 28-01-2004, 02:39 AM
frankgrimes12

Default Question: photosynthesis light reactions: antenna and reaction center pigments

I am reading an intro plant phys text. I am looking at a graph that
has O2 produced per flash of light as a positive decreasing function
of light intensity. The book claims that the asymptote in this
function, called the maximum yield, is a result of the separation of
the light-harvesting system into a reaction center with antenna
complex pigments, which keep the reaction center enzymes saturated
with activity, so that they do not sit idle. What is the advantage to
the plant of this saturation? I can imagine that it could be
advantageous if the saturation point is near the intensity of daylight
(is it?). If this is true, then it would seem that plants that lived
under low intensity light conditions would have higher saturation
points. Do they?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 29-01-2004, 10:15 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

frankgrimes12 schreef
I am reading an intro plant phys text. I am looking at a graph that
has O2 produced per flash of light as a positive decreasing function
of light intensity. The book claims that the asymptote in this
function, called the maximum yield, is a result of the separation of
the light-harvesting system into a reaction center with antenna
complex pigments, which keep the reaction center enzymes saturated
with activity, so that they do not sit idle. What is the advantage to
the plant of this saturation? I can imagine that it could be
advantageous if the saturation point is near the intensity of daylight
(is it?). If this is true, then it would seem that plants that lived
under low intensity light conditions would have higher saturation
points. Do they?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

+ + +
Seems like the Law of the Minimum applies here.
A naked eye observation is that "plants that live under low intensity light
conditions" have a higher number of "reaction centers with antenna complex
pigments".
PvR