GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plum Tree Disease? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/53166-plum-tree-disease.html)

Stan Coffey 21-02-2004 03:41 AM

Plum Tree Disease?

Hello group, I keep forgetting to ask this, but finally:

I have this plum tree in my front yard. In recent years some of the branches
have been developing 1cm-long green fingerlike projections on the underside
of the leaves. Is this some sort of fungus? Does this need to be treated,
and if so, how? Is the fruit from those branches still edible?

(Zone 3, Chernozem over a clay bed)
TIA

Brandon Gallagher 26-02-2004 08:38 PM

Plum Tree Disease?

Your "fingerlike projections" are not of fungal origin. They are
galls caused by very tiny little mites (Eriophyid sp.)that secrete a
hormone into the leaf tissue as they feed that result in the weird
gall formations. As far as health to the tree, these galls are not
very damaging as eventdent by the leaves remaining green and thus
productive. There is no treatment for gall forming insects, but it
most cases control isnt necessary. Any fruit produced by branches with
infected leaves will be unaffected and will be safe to eat. hope this
helps :0)
-Brandon
U of MN
College of Natural Resources