GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need to ID plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/57014-need-id-plant.html)

Alex 27-03-2004 04:12 AM

Need to ID plant

Hi. I was given a house plant but have no idea what it is called. I'd
appreciate someone ID'ing this plant for me so I can find proper care tips
for it. I've uploaded three different images of it (from far away to close
up) to my webpage. Many thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/abs41/plant.html

Iris Cohen 27-03-2004 04:12 AM

Need to ID plant

You have a Polyscias, possibly P. balfouriana. Unfortunately, they are really
conservatory plants. Doesn't need a lot of light, but in the winter your house
may not be warm or humid enough. Watch out for spider mites and all the other
ills typical of the English ivy family.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Alex 27-03-2004 04:12 AM

Need to ID plant

Iris Cohen wrote:

You have a Polyscias, possibly P. balfouriana. Unfortunately, they are
really conservatory plants. Doesn't need a lot of light, but in the
winter your house may not be warm or humid enough. Watch out for
spider mites and all the other ills typical of the English ivy family.

Thank you, Iris. After a bit of browsing, it looks like my plant is
Polyscias fruticosa (Ming Aralia).

Monique Reed 29-03-2004 11:43 PM

Need to ID plant

A million years ago, when I had horticulture, this was called "Ming
Aralia" and the scientific name was _Polyscias fruticosa._ Looks
like this is still the case.
http://www.rhapisgardens.com/ming-aralias/

You'll want to make sure watering is just right--not too much or too
little, and not salty (check your tap water!)

M. Reed