Old 18-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Currants love South Dakota soil

This is Spring planting for me and put in another 50 currants of various
species. I would have never guessed that of all fruit plants to grow in
South Dakota southeastern corner that currants love this soil and
thrive. There is one drawback though, they need more water than what
South Dakota rainfall supplies. But if irrigation from the Missouri
river is available, then currants would be a great fruit to grow here.
There is one problem with them though in managing because it is
difficult to weed or cut grass around them. I find myself with spade and
spading the weeds from under the bushes.

Something about the soil ph in South Dakota that currants just love it.
And also I find that currants like the ashes from wood stoves and the
more the merrier.

So I guess that since South Dakota has few pine trees or the 5 needles
to the blister rust that a currant industry would not jeopardize pine
trees. But they do need more water than the inclement rainfall.

I guess what I learned from this is that a plant either loves the soil
ph or does not. And if it does not then it just is so slow to grow if it
grows at all. But if the plant loves the soil ph then it not only grows
but zooms and thrives.

And I find wild gooseberry type plants along the ditches which is a sign
that currant species do great in this soil. Whenever a wild species
volunteers indicates the plant is great for that region.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium