Old 25-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Apple Cedar Rust disease; can the apples be harmful??

I asked this question a long time ago. Received blank no answers. No
data on www as to the question.

The question is whether apples from a diseased cedar rust have any
harmful affects upon humans eating them?

I was wondering also whether it is advisable to cut down and eliminate
apple trees that are badly affected and whether it is good practice for
those remaining apple trees. A practice of finding tree varieties that
are resistant to cedar rust.

I have some old mature apple trees that seem to have zero cedar rust and
I have some new young trees that are loaded with cedar rust. So I wonder
if a practice of simply eliminating all cedar rust trees and keep
planting varieties resistant to rust is the best practice.

I have a bad feeling of walking past a apple tree in the grove that is
loaded with the rust and the looks of it is just ugly.

I cannot change the cedar part of this disease. So I wonder if a
constant replacement of apple trees resistant is the practical answer to
the problem.

Anyone have actual real experience and not the usual fleet of
big-mouthed-know-littles of bio.botany.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 25-06-2004, 11:02 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Archimedes Plutonium schreef
Anyone have actual real experience and not the usual fleet of

big-mouthed-know-littles of bio.botany.

+ + +
If you don't want a sci.bio.botany answer maybe you should not ask a
question on sci.bio.botany?
PvR

Old 25-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Iris Cohen

The question is whether apples from a diseased cedar rust have any harmful
affects upon humans eating them?

No. Cedar apple rust & other diseases affect the trees. They may reduce the
crop, but won't make it any less edible.

I was wondering also whether it is advisable to cut down and eliminate apple
trees that are badly affected and whether it is good practice for those
remaining apple trees.

In general, it is a good idea not to waste your time on a badly infected tree.
However, the proper way to combat cedar apple rust is to remove any juniper
(cedar) trees in the vicinity.

A practice of finding tree varieties that are resistant to cedar rust.

Of course. But they are not apt to be 100% resistant, so you should still get
rid of the cedars. The usual culprit is Eastern red cedar, Juniperus
virginiana.

So I wonder if a practice of simply eliminating all cedar rust trees and
keep planting varieties resistant to rust is the best practice.

Definitely. But work on getting rid of the cedar trees too.

I cannot change the cedar part of this disease.

Why not? Do they belong to a neighbor who refuses to cooperate? In some states
it is illegal to grow cedars which harbor this disease.

Anyone have actual real experience

I have little experience of growing apple trees in the ground, but when I did I
made sure to get a resistant cultivar. However, around here other diseases,
like apple scab, are more of a problem. I have a bonsai crabapple and a
crabapple in the ground. They are both disease resistant and are doing fine.
Hawthorns are very disease prone. I had a collected hawthorn that came down
with rust, gall, & what not, & I got rid of it. I have an English hawthorn
bonsai which occasionally shows rust symproms, but it is easy to control by
spraying.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Christopher Green

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in message ...
I asked this question a long time ago. Received blank no answers. No
data on www as to the question.

You didn't look. I found more data than I can use in one search.

The question is whether apples from a diseased cedar rust have any
harmful affects upon humans eating them?

I was wondering also whether it is advisable to cut down and eliminate
apple trees that are badly affected and whether it is good practice for
those remaining apple trees. A practice of finding tree varieties that
are resistant to cedar rust.

No, best practice is to eliminate the causes of cedar rust. This means
eliminating infected plants (mainly junipers) that are carriers,
observing proper hygiene, and controlling outbreaks with fungicide if
necessary.

I have some old mature apple trees that seem to have zero cedar rust and
I have some new young trees that are loaded with cedar rust. So I wonder
if a practice of simply eliminating all cedar rust trees and keep
planting varieties resistant to rust is the best practice.

If you have an unlimited budget for nursery stock, sure, go ahead.
Most of us who have apple trees prefer to keep the trees we have and
carry out the tasks necessary to keep them disease-free.

I have a bad feeling of walking past a apple tree in the grove that is
loaded with the rust and the looks of it is just ugly.

I cannot change the cedar part of this disease. So I wonder if a
constant replacement of apple trees resistant is the practical answer to
the problem.

No, you d**n well can. You clean up the source of the infections. You
keep your orchard clean. You control outbreaks. In other words, you
start being a gardener and stop being a fool.

--
Chris Green
Old 25-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Chuck

Actually, the apples taste pretty good. They just look different.

Chuck,