GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What kinda tree is this ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81398-what-kinda-tree.html)

Greasle 25-06-2004 07:23 PM

Mike Martin 25-06-2004 08:57 PM

P van Rijckevorsel 25-06-2004 10:26 PM

Adam Golatofski 26-06-2004 01:50 PM

Iris Cohen 27-06-2004 02:41 AM

Greasle 27-06-2004 03:41 PM

A picture of the flower
A picture of the fruit
Where is the tree found?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

true Iris

aint got anny pictures of flowers or fruit (jet)
but the tree is in our front garden and i think ist exotic.
Our front garden is in The Netherlands. mid/north europe

Here ara some more pictures

the first 3 we know allready

http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje1.jpg
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje2.jpg
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje3.jpg

http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje4.jpg (under the canopy )
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje5.jpg ( 3.5 meter high)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje6.jpg (suffers from a parasite)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje7.jpg (parasite chamber )
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje8.jpg (downside from the leave)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje9.jpg (leaves on the branches)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje10.jpg (upside from the leave)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje11.jpg (downside from the leave)
http://www.stefan.moonen.net/boompje12.jpg (downside from the leave)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 27-06-2004 06:02 PM

What kinda tree is this ?

In article , Greasle
writes
aint got anny pictures of flowers or fruit (jet)
but the tree is in our front garden and i think ist exotic.
Our front garden is in The Netherlands. mid/north europe

Apart from Elm, _Ulmus_, possibilities are Hornbeam, _Carpinus_, and
Southern Beech, _Nothofagus_. For Roble Beech, _Nothofagus obliqua_
Mitchell refers to the "strikingly regular herring-bone shoots which fan
downwards and outwards in slender sprays". (The fruit is an 8x5 mm ovoid
at the base of each leaf.)

_Carpinus betulus_ typically has more pairs of veins than shown by your
photographs. This may not be the case for all other _Carpinus_ species.
It may also be worth looking at _Zelkova_ and Hop-Hornbeam, _Ostraya_.

Taking a leaf off the tree and photographing it in isolation may assist
in identification. According to Stace the asymmetrical leaf bases of
Ulmus are unmistakable, but we don't have a clear view of the leaf
bases.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

P van Rijckevorsel 27-06-2004 06:52 PM

What kinda tree is this ?

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
Taking a leaf off the tree and photographing it in isolation may assist
in identification. According to Stace the asymmetrical leaf bases of
Ulmus are unmistakable, but we don't have a clear view of the leaf
bases.

+ + +
I have no doubt at all about the asymetrical leaf base, which is pretty
clear. Also the lateral veins which run up to the leaf margin, which is
indeed doubly toothed. I am very inclined to Ulmus minor, but am put of by
all the small 'leafs' (stipules?) that are all over the place.
PvR

Stewart Robert Hinsley 27-06-2004 08:06 PM

What kinda tree is this ?

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
Taking a leaf off the tree and photographing it in isolation may assist
in identification. According to Stace the asymmetrical leaf bases of
Ulmus are unmistakable, but we don't have a clear view of the leaf
bases.

+ + +
I have no doubt at all about the asymetrical leaf base, which is pretty
clear. Also the lateral veins which run up to the leaf margin, which is
indeed doubly toothed. I am very inclined to Ulmus minor, but am put of by
all the small 'leafs' (stipules?) that are all over the place.
PvR

I had interpreted them as side-shoots with immature leaves.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

P van Rijckevorsel 27-06-2004 09:55 PM

What kinda tree is this ?

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I had interpreted them as side-shoots with immature leaves.

+ + +
Could be, but I am not expecting them in elm, so they make me doubt
PvR

Iris Cohen 28-06-2004 12:05 AM

What kinda tree is this ?

ain't got any pictures of flowers or fruit (yet)

You are not likely to.

but the tree is in our front garden and i think it is exotic.
Our front garden is in The Netherlands.

Sorry, unless I am mistaken it is no more exotic than a windmill.

When I saw your first pictures, I thought "elm?" but I wasn't sure. Your
additional closeups and the parasite rang the bell. You have Dutch elm, Ulmus
xhollandica (minor x glabra or minor x plotii). I have a bonsai 'Jacqueline
Hillier', which is a dwarf variety of the same hybrid. When I put mine in front
of the computer and compared them, she yelled "Mama!"
Your parasite is a leaf gall mite. I get it occasionally on my Chinese elm. If
it gets too annoying, spray with a systemic insecticide. Over here we use
Orthenex.

Greasle 28-06-2004 06:23 PM

What kinda tree is this ?

I'm 99% sure your are right !! it must be the
Ulmus minor 'Jacqueline Hillier' sometimes called
Ulmus hollandica 'Jacqueline Hillier'

Thx Iris